oil/lye temperatures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaissancemom

Reaction score
I usually work with oil and lye temps. somewhere in the mid 80's range, but I see most of you work in the low 100's range. what is the overall difference between results. Will my bars take longer to cure than higher temps? Or is it something else.

Also I have only ever set my soap at light trace, I never saw it gel, or is that only with HP?

I work with room temperature oil and lye .Gives me time to play , the soap gels ( if I want it to) ,just as it normally would.I find no difference in the finished soap. I usually pour or play with color at fairly light trace.
Do you peek to see if your soap is gelling ( have you seen a darker center that spreads to the edge of the mold)? Do you insulate your soap, if you don't it may not be gelling and that is fine.Lots of soapers do not gel their soaps , it makes for a softer looking bar ,it helps prevent milk and honey soaps from overheating. I don't do HP soap, but I believe HP always gels.

HTH

kitn

I do insulate, generally for 24 hrs. at which point i uncover and i notice the edges are lighter than the center, which eventually all evens out. I have never peaked, I don't know how to do that. thanks for your help.

x

hi there! :D

personally i LOVE rtcp. i don't usually gel, or i only let the mold get slightly warm to the touch. if it heats up more i stick it in the fridge. but i use a 4.5 loaf mold. a slab mold reacts a little differently. (there is more center space which generates heat)

sometime i chill my stuff-sometimes i whip it, but i reduce mt water 2:1. (2 parts water to 1 part lye) if you use 6 oz lye then use 12 oz water. this makes for a firmer bar and shortens drying time.

when you dont let you soap heat up, your more delicate f/o' and e/o's stay truer.

happy soaping!

monet

Back