Oatmeal, Milk and Honey recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Powdered goat milk (or coconut milk) is your friend! You can either rehydrate it in some of the water, or stickblend it dry into the oils before adding lye solution.

You can also use powdered honey, but if you prefer the real thing, search for Irish Lass' honey method.

And with that, here are my two versions of OMH:

1. Version 1 is ZNSC (using the faux sea water) with 75% OO, 20% CO, 5% castor. This is one of my best friend's absolute favorite soap - the one that won her over to handmade soap. Apparently her skin loves olive oil more than lard. It's ok, I still love her. ;) And I also love this soap, which is saying a lot, since I generally don't like high OO soaps.

2. Version 2 is 60% lard, 20% CO/PKO blend, 10% soft oil of choice, 5% shea, and 5% castor. This is the version almost everyone else likes the best, including me.

To both recipes, I add 1 Tbsp (PPO) each of goat milk powder, honey and colloidal oats. I either blend them directly into the oils, or I rehydrate them in my additional water and/or mix with the FO (if it is a single color soap which it often is due to browning). I also add sodium citrate to all my soaps, sometimes use sodium lactate, almost always have tussah silk in my MB lye, and often CPOP on heating pads so I can unmold sooner. Enjoy!

Last edited:
2. Version 2 is 60% lard, 20% CO/PKO blend, 10% soft oil of choice, 5% shea, and 5% castor. This is the version almost everyone else likes the best, including me.

Who wouldn't love that? Curious what you SF at? I'm playing with bringing down the SF on a similar formula.

Signed,

Fellow lard lover

I too make vegan soaps, but before I went vegan production, I would freeze my goats milk before adding it to my lye mix ..... helps to stop the scorching of the milk and the browning of the soap
Now, as an alternative, I will make a coconut milk soap, and for oatmeal soap, I will add oatmeal milk ... in frozen cubes

@AliOop Is the OMH FO likely to produce a brown soap?
Yes, most of the OMH FOs have a significant amount of vanillin, which does produce a tan to brown soap. You can work around it by adding mica lines, red swirls, black swirls, extra brown colorant for darker brown swirls, etc. Or try a vanilla stabilizer - store bought or homemade per this thread by @Todd Ziegler.

Who wouldn't love that? Curious what you SF at? I'm playing with bringing down the SF on a similar formula.
Signed,
Fellow lard lover
Yay for lard! I usually SF at 2-3% max. Honestly, the soap feels no different to me than it did at 5% SF, and I like having less grease on my soap utensils and less soap scum, too. I don't have issues with DOS but would think that it reduces that likelihood, as well. Good luck with your formulating, and let us know how it goes!

An interesting idea! Thinking outside the box!

I have a whole bottle of OMH fo, though. :-/

Well go for it. Scented soap is more popular and sells more readily.

Just so you know, I do not sell a huge amount of it, because it is made for a very few customers who wanted something for sensitive skin. I would have people ask for goat milk soap that was good for sensitive skin, so I created a fragrance-free goatmilk/oatmeal/honey soap. I only have 3 regular customers for it presently, but it does feel good to have something they really like. And it is one of the reasons I started soaping - I just wasn't happy with what I could find commercially.

Well go for it. Scented soap is more popular and sells more readily.

Just so you know, I do not sell a huge amount of it, because it is made for a very few customers who wanted something for sensitive skin. I would have people ask for goat milk soap that was good for sensitive skin, so I created a fragrance-free goatmilk/oatmeal/honey soap. I only have 3 regular customers for it presently, but it does feel good to have something they really like. And it is one of the reasons I started soaping - I just wasn't happy with what I could find commercially.
Do you find that your customers tend to avoid brown soap? I haven't had a lot of experience in the matter, but it seems I am experiencing that. Maybe?

Latest posts

Back