Oat soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ish

Reaction score
15890161975215713152075076823222.jpg

Olive=36g
Coconut 72°=53.72g
Oat milk = 16.56g
Lye= 12g
Grind oat =6g

I froze the oat milk overnight then mix 12g lye to it then i mix my oils then i pour the lye solution mix with oat milk which was looking like a pudding and then i blended all till trace and finally pour it in the container

Those are tiny weights. Do you have a jewellery scale? If not your measurements could be off as well. You might find the split method easier.
mal so 6g ofoats is a lot for such a tiny batch.

Looks like it simply overheated. Perhaps soap at RT if oat milk is that sensitive. I've used all the other forms of oatmeal but never oat milk and never overheated. So maybe I should try it🤔 what does it add to the soap that the other forms of oatmeal don't? Very curious🤔

In the past I have soaped with a lot of oatmilk, using the split method with overheating issues. I just prefer to not mix anything with my lye solution. I will mention, when I first started I would mix my lye with my oatmilk without freezing the oatmilk and still never had overheating issues.

Did you happen to move the silicone mold before it was set all the way through? Is the mold strong enough to hold the batter? Those are just a couple of things I can think of. Some silicone cupcake liners are pretty thin and the liner does look a bit distorted from the cracking. To me, it just looks like it was not completely set. You also did not mention if you used any fo. It is so unusual for so small a recipe to overheat to such an extent.

In the past I have soaped with a lot of oatmilk, using the split method with overheating issues. I just prefer to not mix anything with my lye solution. I will mention, when I first started I would mix my lye with my oatmilk without freezing the oatmilk and still never had overheating issues.

Did you happen to move the silicone mold before it was set all the way through? Is the mold strong enough to hold the batter? Those are just a couple of things I can think of. Some silicone cupcake liners are pretty thin and the liner does look a bit distorted from the cracking. To me, it just looks like it was not completely set. You also did not mention if you used any fo. It is so unusual for so small a recipe to overheat to such an extent.
Hi,thanks 4 your comment.Yep i did moved the silicone mold, the mole is strong it can hold the batter and no i didn't ues ant FO.
🙂

How do you use oatmilk?

Replace the water in the recipe with oatmilk.
Or, what I do is, mix the Sodium hydroxide with an equal amount of water and replace the rest of the water with oatmilk. You can easily mix iny additives into the oatmilk.

Replace the water in the recipe with oatmilk.
Or, what I do is, mix the Sodium hydroxide with an equal amount of water and replace the rest of the water with oatmilk. You can easily mix iny additives into the oatmilk.
Thank you! And the you add the oatmilk to the lye and water mix? Do you have to freeze it?

Do you make your own oatmilk?

I add the oat milk to the oils and ensure it’s well mixed before adding the lye water. Yes I make my own oat milk. No need to freeze it.

I make my own oat milk. I rinse 1 cup of oats in a sieve with filtered water. Then add 1 cup rolled oats to 1 and 1/2 cups water. I let these sit for 30 mins or so. Then I put it in a food processor. When it’s very fine I put it in fine muslin and squeeze all the milk out.

I add 2 tablespoons of oats to the final soap when I add the milk. I grind dry rolled oats until it is a powder. As fine as I can get. I don’t like bits of things in my soap, messing up the bathroom.

Last edited:
I add the oat milk to the oils and ensure it’s well mixed before adding the lye water. Yes I make my own oat milk. No need to freeze it.
I make my own oat milk. I rinse 1 cup of oats in a sieve with filtered water. Then add 1 cup rolled oats to 1 and 1/2 cups water. I let these sit for 30 mins or so. Then I put it in a food processor. When it’s very fine I put it in fine muslin and squeeze all the milk out.

I add 2 tablespoons of oats to the final soap when I add the milk. I grind dry rolled oats until it is a powder. As fine as I can get. I don’t like bits of things in my soap, messing up the bathroom.
Thank you! I'll try it this way :)

Back