Nuts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmoose

Reaction score
A quick question for you seasoned soapers. I am going to make a CP soap soon that the FO contains some nut oil. I know some do not react well to anything with nuts in it so my question is... Should I use a different mold than my regular one and not use my cutter or is cleaning them well afterwards good enough? Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Have you hugged a moose today?

You know, I just saw on CNN yesterday that nut allergies among children are rising in number. If you don't mind sharing the info, what FO and from what supplier has nut oil in it? That could be good info to get out there for the rest of us. I had no idea that FOs could have nut oils in them....gads...
I think one thing you could consider doing is using a milk carton for your soap. You peel the carton off to get the gelled soap out and then just discard. A one time use. You could cut the soap on a plastic cutting board that you could then run through the dishwasher. The stainless steel blade of your cutting knife you can, of course, wash off really well by hand. I would also run the rest of your soaping equipment through the dishwasher after you have gotten most of the saponified residue off. OR...just use another FO!!

Hmm. I have nut (and peanut) allergic kids and tho I'm ultra conservative, I'd think that cleaning them would be just fine - especially your cutter which is metal.

Separate mold is probably overkill since the proteins are the allergenic part and I believe they are destroyed by the lye. Plus I don't know that the trace amounts left in the mold would affect them, but one can never be too careful.

But if you have a wooden mold please line it. I don't know how well all residue is removed from foam liners though. I just don't know.

IDK if it helps but I have peanut butter FO from Lonestarcandlesupply.com and I don't believe it has any type of nut product in it. Might try a different brand.. ?

Now this is interesting! I did'nt notice it before but looking at the same FO on that site in 2 different sizes it does not have the warning like the 2oz size. Hmmmm.

Bruce

Have you hugged a moose today?

Back