No more excess when measuring. Almost!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
I love castor oil in soap but absolutely hate pouring it. My supplier sells this highly viscous oil in relatively wide-mouthed bottles. As a consequence, I have often poured an excess when measuring and lost a lot down the side of containers, on spatulas, etc. So annoying!

I am not use to swirling and CP. So please excuse me if this mention is akin to when, as a child, I felt brilliant for having "invented" the method of using one's bare delicate hands to peel hot eggs under running cold tap water. Didn't realize that millions of people had been doing that for centuries. However, just in case anyone suffers the same frustration, I thought I'd share my tip anyway. I just started to use flexible dispenser bottles with a spout for measuring out liquid fats for my many small 1-pound iterations. Getting supplies for making cosmetics is currently a challenge in my area. Fortunately, these spout are still in good supply at the supermarket, ie despite the 2nd wave covid-19 lockdown. It worked marvelously for castor oil. Small victory! My measurements in grams have become precise!
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-10 at 08.04.58.jpeg

This solution does not appear to apply to all liquids however. It did not work with molasses. A few hours after filling up the bottle, the molasses was oozing out of the crease where the bottle and top section meet, ie even before I poured it for the first time from the very full bottle. Interestingly enough, the molasses still oozed out, this time, also from the spout after I had poured it from a cleaned-up and now only half full bottle.
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-10 at 08.04.57.jpeg

The key is in buy good quality bottles. As for molasses, grandma's trick was to place the jar in a pan of hot water first thing...I've done the same and it works. Don't use the microwave as it can overheat and cause the molasses to crystallize.

For viscous (syrupy) fluids, you may need to tip the pour stick backwards to help the fluid slide down the stick. See the last photo in this article of mine - Soapy Stuff: Pouring tips

Also experiment with different types of pour sticks; a rough material (wood dowel, chopstick) might not work as well as a slick material (drink straw).

Also a larger stick -- the flat side of a butter knife or a spatula -- might work better.

Latest posts

Back