Newbie questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nachoqtpie

Reaction score
Okay... so I'm researching things to make my way into soap making for the very first time.
I figured since my 2 children want to learn soapmaking as well, that it would be easier for us to just start with M&P so there's no lye to mess with and less potential for a disaster to happen. :lol:
I've been looking at several places, and I just want your opinion. Is there a big quality difference between Bramble Berry and Wholesale Supplies Plus? I really like the "keep the change" feature that they have at WSP because my step-daughter (who passed away) was Autistic, as well as a very dear friend of mines son.
I do want to have good quality products, that eventually will go into my business... which I know will take a while before I can start offering them for sale.
What are your opinions? What are some good bases and supplies to get started with? (obviously I know I need molds and the like.. :wink: ) I want this to be something fun that we can do together as a family. (More or less...) I would really like to make loaf soaps and cut them, and also have some molds and such as well.

my favorite base is from peak candle http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Melt ... Bases.aspx

really high-quality ingredients. i'm a fan of products that are as natural as possible, and this is my go-to. but i started an order last night, and the shipping was a third of my order! horrors, i can't justify that.

would love to hear what bases others use.

i'm going to order this from brambleberry. the big block might be a bit of a pain, but great price! http://www.brambleberry.com/Premium-Bul ... P5142.aspx

a simple starter idea that kids love --- buy some silk flowers and cut the petals off. dip the petals in scented melt and pour, and voila, you have beautiful single-use soap leaves. in pretty packaging these are really hard to resist :)

That's another reason that I wanted to use WSP... their shipping is included in their price so there's no "HOLY CRAP! I can't justify spending that much for shipping!" situations.

Is WSP not a good company?

I personally am a big fan of Natures Garden Candles "natural" mp base. I like the feel and how it cooperates so nicely when I'm working with it.
BB is nice, too, but they're too far from me so shipping's higher.
Bittercreek is nice, also.

I used to be a fan of WSP when I first started making B&B products, but I'm not a fan any more. I think if you search the forum for WSP, you'll find a lot of people that have been upset by them.

Also, have you checked out http://suppliersbystate.com to find any places close to you?

Oooh! I haven't checked them out, but I will now! :-D

I know Candle Science is only about 2 hours from here if that, but I've never even looked to see if they do soap stuff! Lol

Thanks for the input. I don't want to be discouraged by my very first batch!

I really do want to learn the right way to do all of this. I don't want a fly by the seat of your pants business!

Okay... I have The Chemistry Store and Aroma Haven in SC.... but none in NC. So... it wouldn't really save me a ton that way. :?

Aroma Haven looks nice! I will have to check them out when I am not on my phone! Lol

Okay... another newbie question.... how do I know the difference??

WSP has one called "detergent free." My daughter has really sensitive skin, so I don't want anything that is going to cause a reaction. Is the detergent free what I should look for?

Back