Newbie question on Shea butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loriag

Reaction score
Do I have to do anything with Shea butter before I use it in CP soap? Does it have to be melted down at a certain temp and cooled quickly before I use it? Thought I had read something like this but am having trouble researching it online. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Melt gently until it's just about melted - don't overheat. I cool it down for whipped body cream but not for soap.

Tempering shea (melting it then cooling) is more for products like body butters, lip balms, lotions, etc. In soap, shea is broken apart by the lye to form soap, so get it (and any other solid fats) fully melted, as Saffron explained, mix with your liquid oils (if any), and make your soap.

I have heard from others such as Carolyn (cmzaha) that some unrefined shea has bugs and other debris in it. If your shea is unrefined, you may want to strain any odd bits out before adding it to your other fats.

I have heard from others such as Carolyn (cmzaha) that some unrefined shea has bugs and other debris in it. If your shea is unrefined, you may want to strain any odd bits out before adding it to your other fats.
Mine is unrefined. That has a bit of a gross factor for me! Let's hope mine is bug and such free! I will have a strainer on hand when I open it to use it.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as I have read a bit on how it is collected.

Latest posts

Back