Newbie from N.E. Oklahoma

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damngoodscents

Reaction score
I've been reading here for about a month so I figured its time to post! Im new to soap-making...so far only M&P but Im getting ready to take the plunge with CP. Dont mind saying...IM SCARED! lol Im reading everything I can possibly get my hands on regarding soaping. I also want to dabble in lotions, lip-balms, etc...Ive been making my own laundry deterg (powdered) for about a year and I love it. I make it for my grown kids too.
Everyone here is so friendly and helpful! :)

Jaimie

don't be scared of CP. it's no more dangerous than working with boiling water in your kitchen... just be careful and keep kids and pets (and men) out from underfoot and you'll do just fine.

I am from N.E. Ok area also!! I have made about 20 loaves of CP so far and I love it. I was scared before my first time too but after I did it I couldn't believe how easy it was. I read and researched for over a year before I got started and wish I had done it sooner. But I haven't had a bad batch yet, just had my first two overheat a little.

So Scout, where are you located? Im in Grove, on Grand Lake. Nice to have a soap buddy so near!
I finally gave in and made a loaf, from a recipe found on the net. Its scented with lavender and vanilla and I added oatmeal. Aside from a little difficulty getting it out of the mold, no problems, but we will see in about 4 weeks how I really did ;P.
Ive been doing the M&P, which I love because its so easy and hard to mess it up. Heres a picture of my latest m&p..Chocolate with vanilla topping-must resist the urge to taste test! lol
IMG_0933.jpg

I live in Bristow. Your soap looks great! I haven't done any layers like that but I have done swirls, in the pot and in the mold. I got started making scrubs for use in manis and pedis for the salon I work in a couple of years ago because it is so much cheaper and better than the commercial stuff. After hearing how much people loved them I decided to start on the road to selling. Its a long one but I am loving it. I have been doing melt and pour and haven't actuallly sold any salt scrubs yet but I am feeling much more confident and almost ready thanks to this forum. My friends and family have been great about giving me feedback on everything I have made so far.

I just wanted to add that my husband made my molds for me and they work great. 2 pound size and the sides are on hinges so they drop down on all four sides and the soap is free. I line them with freezer paper.If you know anyone who is handy with wood I can PM you the measurements for them. It was much cheaper than buying them. He has 5 pounders ready to be assembled when I am ready to try bigger batches.

It sounds like you have a great start on the road to selling! Ive sold crafts for years so if I can be of any help just ask. Isnt it nice to have family and friends who give support?! I think of them as my "guinea pigs"..lol. I made what I thought was going to be some great lip balms once but used a soap base accidently-needless to say they were awful and friends didnt mind letting me know that they tasted horrible! Oh and I made some of those solid lotions scented with lavender...gave a few to my guinea pigs. I tried the lotion that evening and it was so greasy-just plain yucky. I called them all and told them "Throw it away. NOW!" lol...so it goes...live and learn. Its all a process.
My hubby is pretty handy with wood so the measurements would be much appreciated-Thank You!

I don't know where he has the measurements but I will ask when he gets home tonight. I have run all my recipes through soapcalc and I think it is a great tool. I would start there if I were you.

Back