New with a few ?s

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesgrogers

Reaction score
Hello I am new to soap making (haven't made the first bar yet) I do remember watching my grandfather make soap when I was a kid, and I just happen to have a chunk of lye soap that he made over 30 years ago. I keep it in my workshop just for memory sake. I am interested in making soap for fishing bait so my questions revolve around using a lard or a pure tallow base with anise or menhaden oil as a flavoring and making the soap to a softer consistency so the hook will go through the chunks but firm enough to hold shape and be cutable with something like a cheese slicer. I use a lot of zote brand soap to fish with I just thought I could make a better product more suited to fishing with flaovors that the fish might prefer. any guidance will be appreciated I am looking over your forum and the info is vast to say the least. Where should I start?

James

jamesgrogers said:
Hello I am new to soap making (haven't made the first bar yet) I do remember watching my grandfather make soap when I was a kid, and I just happen to have a chunk of lye soap that he made over 30 years ago. I keep it in my workshop just for memory sake. I am interested in making soap for fishing bait so my questions revolve around using a lard or a pure tallow base with anise or menhaden oil as a flavoring and making the soap to a softer consistency so the hook will go through the chunks but firm enough to hold shape and be cutable with something like a cheese slicer. I use a lot of zote brand soap to fish with I just thought I could make a better product more suited to fishing with flaovors that the fish might prefer. any guidance will be appreciated I am looking over your forum and the info is vast to say the least. Where should I start?

James

thats crazy.. I didnt know you could fish with soap??? lol and to think Ive been buying bait all this time...

Good place to start:

Soap Making Tutorials

high fat content soap like Zote makes good catfish bait but it is a slow attracting bait and is more suited for use on trotlines, limblines and juglines. Not really a bait for rod and reel type fishing.

James

by looking at the tutorials my initial thoughts are that I need to use the cold prosses and superfat the menhaden oil or the anise oil depending on what "flavor" I am using. Would I be correct in my assumption?

James

possibly.. thatll leave the highest content of whatever oil you choose in the soap unsaponified, but in my experience with menhaden oil, It will stink to high hell reguardless of how much you add, or get on you lol...

wonderful sharkbait, and chum... It may work against you though to superfat with it, as the superfatted oil may just float to the top of the water as oil floats...

although it might be like a time-release effect being that alot of it is in the soap....

would be cool ..lol

catfish will eat **** near anything from what ive heard..... including but not restricted to : cats, roadkill, other small animals, fingers, chicken, (now soap), and humans (ever seen that episode of river-monsters...wooooah)

time relase is what I am going for. LOL posted my ?s in the soap making recipe and tutorial forums thought it would be better than in the introduction forum.

jamesgrogers said:
time relase is what I am going for. LOL posted my ?s in the soap making recipe and tutorial forums thought it would be better than in the introduction forum.

yeah probably get more replies that way :)

Latest posts

Back