new recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd_198818

Reaction score
i recently bought a large amount of soybean and rice bran oil for a steal of a deal. how do you think this recipe looks? did i overlook something obvious?

IMAG2406.jpg

Last edited:
I agree the iodine value is a little high but you may be able to do this if the soybean and rice bran are fresh. Both have a one year shelf life. However, I'd use them fairly quickly but set a half bar aside to see how it holds up over time.

I played around on SoapCalc to see if I could get the iodine value down. I came up with

25% RBO
25% PO
25% CO
15% Soybean
5% Castor
5% Cocoa butter

Hardness 44
Cleansing 17
Conditioning 51
Bubbly 22
Creamy 31
Iodine 69

Personally, I prefer a higher conditioning value but you can increase the superfat and it would help a bit. I think the recipe would make for a nice shower soap.

I played around a bit more and came up with another recipe but the iodine value is over 70. It came up to 73 which isn't too bad.

25% RBO
25% PO
20% CO
15% Soybean
10% Castor
5% Cocoa butter

Hardness 40
Cleansing 14
Conditioning 56
Bubbly 23
Creamy 35
Iodine 73

I really like the second recipe, it would be a nice bar of soap with plenty of bubbles, and still a hard bar of soap. I think that keeping the soybean to 15% or less is a good guide to go by.

Some people MAY get "shower-itch" with a high iodine value too. Seriously, it's a thing. :)

I would add some Rosemary Oleoresin Extract to your soybean oil jug if you have some around. It is an antioxidant that can help protect your oils that are prone to rancidity.

Latest posts

Back