neroli/ orange blossom - sweet o bitter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadelilly

Reaction score
I had my first experience with neroli oil from whole foods (the blue bottles...why nd mere I believe) and I fell in love.it was soft and beautiful, swert...perfect.
Then I bought neroli essential oil (3% dilution just like they'd mere one) from nd a as well as neroli floral water. They both have a more butter smell...not at all the soft sweet amazing smell from the other one. What's the difference? I know nd a is good quality but I love the scent of the whole foods one. Is it not truly neroli oil?
Thanks!

I know that their are two types of oranges for EOs: bitter orange and sweet orange. I have not ever used neroli (pricey), but your question made me think that they may make neroli from the two types of orange blossoms as well. That may be why you have a sweet-smelling neroli and a bitter-smelling one.

hmm that makes sense. I've been resniffing my new neroli from nda to try to get a better feel for it and oddly, it's beginning to smell better lol (I also shook the bottle this time) The floral water though still smells bitter to me...the revies RAVE about the scent being amazing. Maybe it's just me. I'm not loving the smell of a lot of the essential oils lately. :(

Is the oil you love from Whole Foods an essential oil? Or a carrier oil mixed with an EO (and other stuff)? I notice that some essential oils smell kinda funky or weird at full strength right from the bottle, but once diluted or in soap they make more sense.

Back