NEEM OIL curiousity

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanstar

Reaction score
Ive read up on neem oil. It sounds amazing I hear it STINKS, I have some on the way....I want to use it in a base for a dog shampoo bar and for ppl as well, I live in the country and am attacked by mosquitoes in the summer.....Question is does anyone here use it?? Being newer to this soap making hobby.... what are your opinions..and what % do you think I should incorporate...I was told you can use it up to 20%.........also ive heard i should add at trace to help retain its benefits etc...... just looking for advice from a more experienced soaper!!!! Thanks!!!!!

I don't have the answer but FWIW I use an herbal bug repellent and it works like a charm. It's in an oil base and is long lasting. They don't use neem, it contains a pure essential oils blend of rosemary, geranium, and citronella. Nice smelling and I'm still using the same 2oz bottle years later. I've seen others like it but haven't had to replace this one yet.

Apparently neem oil does smell. I had a chat with people selling the products in a market, including soap for animals. She was telling me how good it was to get rid of fleas and gave me a site to read up on it. I wanted it for my bunny that had fleas at the time - after reading what it could do to her I decided against it. So please do some research. I don't know how it reacts on dogs.

Relle.

For my part, I don't mind the smell of neem oil. I use it in a dog shampoo bar and in salves and ointments. It works wonders for hot spots and healing insect bites and other sores.

I have made soap with Neem added at trace. If you are judicious in your use of essential oils, you can mask the smell nicely. While it can deter fleas from dogs, I would seriously doubt (that in soap form) it would help with mosquitoes. However, you can make up a lotion or spray and that would do the job. :wink:

I am using one of my old Neem soaps (no essential oils) in the shower at the moment. While it still smells strongly of Neem, the smell doesn't linger on the skin. I am using another very old one (with essential oils) in the bathroom and it smells truly fresh and beautiful and the smell left on hands is lovely.

PS: when I first started making soap, I used to add the special oils at trace. Now, I'm not so sure that it matters when you add them as the chemical process is still happening well after trace has occurred. :wink:

I have used Neem oil from about 10-20% of oils. It's a strong smelling oil, for certain, and some people really dislike it. The smell does seem to fade over time a bit. It's hard to mask if you use high percentages but I think it works fairly well with eucalyptus, lemon, tea-tree oils and others along those lines. I don't know if the soap really works as a mosquito repellant but I've read about people sending 20-25% Neem soap to the troops because it was helpful in repelling sand flies.

And i agree that adding oils at trace probably doesn't preserve their benefits. Even at trace, batter is still very caustic because the lye is still very active. Doubt it helps.

neem does stink:) eucalyptus does mask it some:)...however...if youa re looking for a mosquito repellent i wouldnt look to soap:) catnip eo works in spray:)...but it really depends on how hungry they are and how many:) they dont seem to like the smell of catnip though:)

:0crystal

ps...my advice was for humans:) be very careful what eo's you use on animals..some can be lethal...do your homework:)

we sell dog and horse soap, a big seller, the local dog refuge loves it for their dogs, we have a purchaser that comes and buys in bulk, as soon as he stops using the soap on the dogs and horses the itch and hair loss returns.

I do recall reading up on Neem as a customer asked if I could make something up for her horse. Apparently the neem oil starts to break down in water after 6 hours so we make up a concentrate of Neem and another oil such as rice bran or macadamia, mix another ingredient with it and offer it in concentrate form so she can add some to a spray bottle with water and use it immediately after bath/dry offtime, that way she can toss the rest of the unused water/oil mix if she wishes.

I used to buy a Neem Pet Spray that was simply Neem Oil mixed with a vegetable wetting agent so you could dilute with water as required. It was very good.

Dog skin is more alkaline than ours and is closer to neutral.

I used to buy a Neem Pet Spray that was simply Neem Oil mixed with a vegetable wetting agent so you could dilute with water as required. It was very good.

Dog skin is more alkaline than ours and is closer to neutral.

We use neem in one of our soaps and while the smell right after cutting is kinda gross, the fully cured bars smell like a nutty garlic but not overpowering. We use 10% oil in our soap. Adding it at trace doesn't keep it from being taken during the saponification process. Lye takes what it wants. We also just mix the neem oil right into our dog shampoo for flea killing and repelling. I wouldn't wash my dog with one of my bar soaps unless i had deliberately shifted the pH somehow. Dog's pH is almost neutral and my soap is not.

I am weird like that - I like the smell of Neem. My daughter used to get head lice a lot while in Kindergarden and there was a headlice treatment that was basically Neem in SAO. Killed them and I didn't feel like I was harming my child.

Interesting to know that catnip keeps the mozzies away. As I have a cat I can't use Cironella. I am sure he would love me for using catnip instead... :lol:

I read about Neem soap here http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-soap.html

"The neem oil content in neem soap varies. (Some manufacturers may use
mainly cheap ingredients and just add some token neem oil. So don't buy
just any soap that says "neem" somewhere on the label...

To get the maximum benefit look for "maximum strength". 20% neem oil
content is good. 30%-40% is about as high as you can go."

"Neem oil has insecticidal properties, is antibacterial and antifungal,
soothing and moisturising... Neem oil soap is a real treat for the skin, even
for healthy skin. But skin problems are where it shines.

Here are just some skin conditions where people have used neem soaps for
centuries and with great results. Follow the links to find out more.

Acne, scabies, psoriasis, ringworm, preventing infections and ulcers, skin
problems in pets, ..."

Also:
http://www.colebrothers.com/soap/oils.html
"Extracted from the bark of the Neem Oil Tree. This oil has the ability to treat a variety of skin disorders such as dandruff. Use as a base oil up to 40%. "

Back