Need HP Oatmeal recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evangelos

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to soap making and would like to make a bar soap for my wife and 3 daughters (15, 12, 9). I will be using a crock pot and these are the supplies I have:

Olive oil
Coconut butter
Shae Butter
Beeswax
Crisco reg.
Castor oil
Goat milk powder (200g)
lye
Oatmeal
Wild Honey
Tea tree

scents:

lavender
lemon
orange

I know I dont need to use all the supplies but I know I have enough for a simple recipe.

btw, the young ladies say they have sensitive skin.

TIA

I would do 70% Olive Oil, 15% Coconut Oil, 5% Shea Butter and 5% Castor Oil with a 7-10% superfat.

I would mix your lye with water and add the Goat's milk powder to your oils once melted and blend well with your stickblender. Lavender alone makes a nice soap or you could add some orange to it too. That' I'm not very good at.

I would do 70% Olive Oil, 15% Coconut Oil, 5% Shea Butter and 5% Castor Oil with a 7-10% superfat.

I would mix your lye with water and add the Goat's milk powder to your oils once melted and blend well with your stickblender. Lavender alone makes a nice soap or you could add some orange to it too. That' I'm not very good at.

This sounds like a good plan.

I will add that I wouldn't bother with the beeswax. It is tricky to use and I don't think it adds positively to the finished soap.

Add your fragrance at the end of the cook or it will dissipate due to the heat. I would add the honey and ground oatmeal towards the end too.

I use fragrance at 3% of my soaping oil weight. A lavender/citrus combo is a nice one.

How much honey would you add for something like this? I make a oatmeal melt and pour soap for my mom that she loves, I was wondering about making a HP recipie instead.

I wouldn't go over a couple of tsp. per pound of oil. My son loves lemongrass/sage combination if you have the lemongrass. Go easy on the sage though.

thanks for the replies but being a noobie I was wondering if I can have the recipe by weight please.

My first basic CP recipe was with 16oz for olive oil and that is too much soap, I want to get warmed up first with small recipes where we can use up the soap quickly and try something new.

My 2nd recipe being my 1st HP worked out great and filled 60% of a "Pringles" chips tube (I think it was apron. 12oz) - like I said I am a real noob.

thank you all for taking an interest in read my post.

Evangelos,
If you know how much soap you want to end up with, you can easily type the percentages into a lye calculator and it will work it out for you.
Here are links to two lye calculators - IMHO, bramble berry is initially more user friendly but soap calc gives allows you to choose more options, and gives more information with the recipe. Soap calc has instructions as well so just take the time to read them and it becomes much less intimidating.

http://www.brambleberry.com/Pages/Lye-Calculator.aspx
http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

These are based on using 12oz. oil with 8% superfat, calculated on soap calc.
9 oz olive oil
1.8 oz coconut oil
0.6 oz shea butter
0.6 oz castor oil
4.56 oz liquid
1.57 oz lye

This is for a CP soap recipe, I'm sure if you search the forum you will find advice on how to convert it for HP.

It doesn't matter if it's CP or HP the same recipe can be used. The only thing with HP is don't discount the water. Also, the fragrance is added after the cook as previously suggested. You renally need to run all recipes through a calculator. Look at the properties you want in a soap and give it a go.

Latest posts

Back