Need help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elly01

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a bar soap that can directly replace this one (Dial Basics Hypoallergenic Bar Soap)? It has been discontinued and I have no ability to spend $40 on the remaining ones available on 3rd party stores. Please help!

Ingredients:

Soap [Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Palmate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate], Aqua (Water, Eau), Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).Contains
Screenshot_20240223-023626.png

This is a very basic soap made from tallow, palm oil, coconut oil, palm kernel oil, water, salt, some chelators, and titanium dioxide for color. To dupe it, I'd start with:

50% tallow
30% palm oil
10% coconut oil
10% palm kernel oil

salt at 2% of oil weight
sodium citrate (chelator) at 2% of oil weight.
2% SF

Have you tried Aveeno?

It's being used in a care facility to was patients intimate areas without disrupting sensitive pH balance. Aveeno is heavily perfumed and not pH balanced. So, no.

Being fragrance free might have helped with irritation, but I don't really know how that soap could have been "PH balanced" for "intimate areas". From the ingredients it's clearly a lye based soap, so the soap will be in the 9-11ish PH range (high), as are all lye based soap. The only soap-like substances which are going to be different with respect to PH balance are liquid washes or synthetic detergents.

Last edited:
^^ what she said. The soap pictured in your original post is definitely not what one would consider "pH balanced."

Also, they have fragrance-free versions of Aveeno.

But again, if you really liked that soap, it wouldn't be hard to make. If you don't want to make soap (a thought that most of us here cannot fathom 😂), then you can no doubt find a local soapmaker to make it for you.

Last edited:
Since you are talking about a care facility and cost, I’m wondering if you are looking for something gentle, easy to use, and economical - and something you can purchase versus buy? I agree you might be happy finding a local soap maker, but in the mean time, maybe a castille soap would bridge the gap for you? Lots of option on Amazon. Or you might find you found a new hobby based on the need you have. 😉

Why not go with the old-school "Original" version of Ivory soap? You know...it floats and it's white. That's what they use in our nursing homes. They've been using it for generations. It's a very gentle and simple basic soap. That soap you were using? It's kind of a lie to sell the product to the masses. It isn't hypoallergenic; if you look up the reviews, it has caused serious allergic reactions in sensitive people and can even BURN the private areas of children if left on too long(Two minutes). I would say you've been lucky it hasn't happened already. Elderly skin is hard to master. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back