Need help with shaving soap EO blends

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirtim100

Reaction score
After making a batch of HP shaving soap (for which many thanks to all the contributors in the shaving soap mega-thread) and a batch of CP shaving soap (for which many thanks to @Zany_in_CO), I'm more or less on track to start doing what I came onto this forum to do, make nice shaving soaps.

I can start tweaking recipes to get the end product I'd like to use and gift around (and one day sell), but the big sticking point for me is the scent. I'd like to move away from the "classic barbershop fragrances", the market is on the point of submerging under the weight of so many sandalwood, lime, rose, lavender, violet, lemon, scented pucks. So the time has come to pick all your brains, given that there are a lot of highly experienced soapers out there who make some really interesting scent combinations (@KiwiMoose, for example).

Any EO or FO combinations, interesting ones, perhaps a tad unusual, for a shaving soap would be very much appreciated. And it goes without saying that when my international shaving soap empire finally takes off, the scent copyright shall be yours, promise...

Happy soaping, everyone.

I used equal parts lemongrass, litsea and a tiny bit peppermint EO's for a very light scent and because my son loves lemon. Which shaving soap did you prefer, the hot process or cold process?

I used equal parts lemongrass, litsea and a tiny bit peppermint EO's for a very light scent and because my son loves lemon. Which shaving soap did you prefer, the hot process or cold process?

Many thanks for the blend, it's now in my potions book.

As for preferences, I can't say right now. The CP will be ready in just under a month, while the HP version is going onto the catwalk for the first time this evening. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the honorary mention : )
Did you see somewhere that I made a lavender and liquorice soap? 3 parts lavender to 1 part aniseed. Very nice. Not my idea though, someone told me to try it (I hate lavender you see).

Thanks for the honorary mention : )
Did you see somewhere that I made a lavender and liquorice soap? 3 parts lavender to 1 part aniseed. Very nice. Not my idea though, someone told me to try it (I hate lavender you see).

Splendid mixture. Aniseed is now another EO on my shopping list. Many thanks!

@SeaSuds, tried out the HP soap just now. wonderful stuff. Makes so much lather you could use it in riot control, or foam parties.

Works very nicely on the skin too, although it did sting a tiny bit. I think it needs a bit more time to settle down before use.

Last edited by a moderator:
More shameless brain-picking. I use Comme de Garçon 2 Man and used to use Tom Ford's Gucci Por Homme when was doing his magic with the firm. I'd like to make a shaving soap along those general lines. According to Fragantica, CdeG2M has notes such as kumquat, leather, incense, a touch of iris, mahogany (I´m useless at defining scents, so I believe them). So, working on that description, frankincense, perhaps a drop or two of patchouli, and there I get stuck.

Any suggestions? Think masculine and woody...

@KiwiMoose, tried out your anise/lavender blend on a hanky. Like it very much indeed. I then ran it through the EOCalc and it gives a very interesting little mix (two in fact):

Orange (sweet)
Cedar
Anise
Lavender

which may be another one to try out.

@KiwiMoose, tried out your anise/lavender blend on a hanky. Like it very much indeed. I then ran it through the EOCalc and it gives a very interesting little mix (two in fact):

Orange (sweet)
Cedar
Anise
Lavender

which may be another one to try out.
I find after cure that the anise goes quite sweet anyway, so it doesn't need any sweetening up. But yes that combo sounds good.

After making a batch of HP shaving soap (for which many thanks to all the contributors in the shaving soap mega-thread) and a batch of CP shaving soap (for which many thanks to @Zany_in_CO), I'm more or less on track to start doing what I came onto this forum to do, make nice shaving soaps.

I can start tweaking recipes to get the end product I'd like to use and gift around (and one day sell), but the big sticking point for me is the scent. I'd like to move away from the "classic barbershop fragrances", the market is on the point of submerging under the weight of so many sandalwood, lime, rose, lavender, violet, lemon, scented pucks. So the time has come to pick all your brains, given that there are a lot of highly experienced soapers out there who make some really interesting scent combinations (@KiwiMoose, for example).

Any EO or FO combinations, interesting ones, perhaps a tad unusual, for a shaving soap would be very much appreciated. And it goes without saying that when my international shaving soap empire finally takes off, the scent copyright shall be yours, promise...

Happy soaping, everyone.
I use a Lavender/Rosemary EO made from my garden. This went over VERY well among the guys who stopped by my table on Sat.

I find after cure that the anise goes quite sweet anyway, so it doesn't need any sweetening up. But yes that combo sounds good.

Tried the blend with cedar as the base note, and another with patchouli. The cedar blend started off as a front runner but then flagged in the last lap. What looks to be a clear winner is the patchouli blend. In my frighteningly limited experience, patchouli seems to chamge from flamethrowing the nostrils to quite a sweet scent. Is that the case with other patchouli buffs?

The lavender/anise mix is going strong, although it's not sweetening up yet, but as you say, that happens after the cure.

Back to the sniffing lab...

Latest posts

Back