Need help with shaving soap EO blends

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did another test batch of the Songwind recipe, this time with

Patchouli
Orange
Anise
Lavender

Something went wrong, the only thing I can smell one day later is the stearic acid. Patchouli doesn't lose itself in the mist that easily...

The scent will probably come back. One of soap's mysterious ways.

How right you were. Got tired of sniffing the stuff every two hours and cursing copiously, went to Madrid yesterday, came back today and the stearic smell has gone by over half to be replaced by a lovely mixed fragrance. It's going to be a corker of a soap... :)

Watching John Romer on YouTube while sticking small swabs of EO scented cotton wool up my nostrils. Nose is now burnt out and can't distinguish patchouli from floor cleaner, but I've got 3 decent recipe (more to come when more EOs based on members' suggestions come in).

1. Lavender and anise. Thanks to @KiwiMoose. This one is odd but is definitely growing on me.
2. Mandarin and frankincense. Nice, bright, jolly little number. Good for shaving while singing Figaro on a sunny morning. Think this recipe (and the next one) come from @Zany_in_CO , and if so, many thanks, Zany.
3. Frankincense, bergamot and peppermint. I think this one needs the grapefruit included in the original recipe, but it's a daring little mix that'll nip you in the jowls when you slap the soap on.

There's a patchouli and orange number on the boil, but it needs something to counteract something in there that just isn't working. Ot maybe I should give my nose a rest...

Watching John Romer on YouTube while sticking small swabs of EO scented cotton wool up my nostrils. Nose is now burnt out and can't distinguish patchouli from floor cleaner, but I've got 3 decent recipe (more to come when more EOs based on members' suggestions come in).

1. Lavender and anise. Thanks to @KiwiMoose. This one is odd but is definitely growing on me.
2. Mandarin and frankincense. Nice, bright, jolly little number. Good for shaving while singing Figaro on a sunny morning. Think this recipe (and the next one) come from @Zany_in_CO , and if so, many thanks, Zany.
3. Frankincense, bergamot and peppermint. I think this one needs the grapefruit included in the original recipe, but it's a daring little mix that'll nip you in the jowls when you slap the soap on.

There's a patchouli and orange number on the boil, but it needs something to counteract something in there that just isn't working. Ot maybe I should give my nose a rest...
Rosemary for the Patch and Orange?

I use a Lavender/Rosemary EO made from my garden. This went over VERY well among the guys who stopped by my table on Sat.

Got some rosemary EO today and it's changed the whole ballgame. Tried out @Kiti Williams blend and really like it, very very much.

And added some rosemary to the patch/orange mixture a la @KiwiMoose and it's made the blend completely different. I didn't much like it before, it lacked substance, background, so to speak, and the rosemary gives it just that, a touch of gravitas.. Lovely blend.

Many many thanks to you both. Royalties will be forthcoming...

Made a lavender, rosemary, bergamot and peppermint blend in a test batch. Tried out the soap yesterday and the scent was almost too delicate to get through the slightly "plastic" smell of the stearic acid.

My previous post leads me onto a question. All the shaving soaps I've made to date using the Songwind method are very creamy, with nice stable lather, moisturizing, but they hardly smell. And that goes for all the ones I've made so far. I've used the proportions recommended in the recipe, but they don't seem to overcome what strikes me as a rather powerful smell of stearic acid, a sort of plasticky scent.

Any solutions?

Latest posts

Back