Need BEER

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savvynurse

Reaction score
After two very nasty looking batches of beer soap (I followed Suzy Homefaker's recipe....man she makes good looking beer soap) I'm wanting to try my hand at it one more time. Hopefully with a few more batches under my skirt , it won't look so terrible that I want to hide it in an underground bunker someplace. The two batches I made soap beautifully and do great in my hair, they just aren't very pretty...KWIM?
Anyway before I go out and buy the cheapest beer I can find I'm gonna ask the pros... What's a good beer to use??
p.s. I'm not a beer drinker... Ask me about vodka or bourbon I might have a decent answer lol

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I use Angry Orchard Hard Cider. Works well and smells nice besides (I don't like the smell of beer in general)

I like to use dark beers, not sure if it really matters what kind just don't use Coors light. For some,reason that beer made the stinkest soap I ever smelt. And twos years later I still can't stand it.

I've used double chocolate stout, can't remember the brand though and last night I made a batch with third shift which is a amber lager. I would definitely use amber or darker. My next beer batch will be with Moose Drool.

I have tried expensive pub brewery beers, and yet Micky's Malt Liquor smells fruity when it is left out to go flat. It takes awhile for the yeast smell to go away, but doesn't leave a strong smell. It's very inexpensive, think a tall can was $1.49.

I have used both light and dark beer. I boiled them down to reduce the alcohol content so it doesn't volcano and loved the soap result. Can you post your recipe and process?

Kansas, I went directlyby Suzy Homefaker's recipe. Do a google search and she will pop up

So what was "nasty" looking about your batches? (sorry, I never heard ofSuzy Homefaker). I do gel my beer soap. This is the last one I made.

MosIPO_BeerSoap2.jpg

They just looked really horrible. The "head" didn't adhere to the brew.... Bad cuts... "Head" crumbles in paces... Just ugly soap. I haven't even taken a picture of them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I've used Heinekin (spelling???) and that was ok. My fave was Sam Adams, don't remember which one it was specifically but it was a darker brew. I hear stouts and darker beers make better shampoo bars so I stick with those.

If I use the "big boys" I stick with American Owned breweries. Saranac, Sam Adams, Yuengling. Craft beers for that local flavor depending on where I'll be selling at.

I'm a brewer, so I make lots of beer soaps! Stout makes a dark bar (dark brown), while pale ales make a tan bar and light lagers make an off-white beer, depending what else is in them.

I gel almost all of my soaps, including my beer/goat's milk soaps.

I use a lot of beers (and Angry Orchard hard cider too, with a spicy autumn FO). I mostly use expensive IPAs, but also Guinness Stout, Corona, and local brewery ales. I love what beer brings to soap - you can still smell the subtle, yeasty scent, and it seems to add an extra emollient element from the hops. I, too, gel all my beer soaps. I love Guinness in shampoo bars, and Corona with lime EO for a summertime soap. Beer's the bomb!

Latest posts

Back