"Natural" fragrance oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PracticalDreamer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and to soap making in general (still doing more research before I venture into my first batch), and was partially intrigued by this due to the fact that I'm on an all natural/organic skin care kick lately. Anyhow, I know that essential oils are probably the ideal in this case, but I'm afraid that since I'm still learning I'll be blowing a lot of money in purchasing only EOs. I noticed that some companies are offering what they call "all natural" fragrance oils. They do seem to be a bit more expensive than their synthetic counterparts, but from what I've read they hold fragrance a lot better than EOs and are more affordable as well. That being said, can someone please explain what an "all natural" fragrance oil is, exactly? If they're natural, why don't they fade like EOs do? Thanks, I appreciate your help, I love this site and can't wait to hear your input!

Christa

I've been wondering this myself but forgot to ask the question....

Well, for instance, WSP says that: "All Natural Fragrance Oils are a blend of essential oils, resins and natural aromatic ingredients." So, I'm assuming they're not synthetic. But why wouldn't they fade just like EOs if they're all natural? Or is it just the essential oils themselves that fade, not necessarily the other additives (like the resins and aromatic ingredients they mention)? I'm so confused...

Well at least you saw that info. I didn't even notice that. :?

Essential Oils are natural, fragrance oils are not. FO's may indeed contain some EO's as part of their makeup, but they are synthetically created in a lab. Some smells you just can't get in an EO (for instance apple), some are prohibitively expensive (like rose) and FO's are a reasonably priced alternative.

well - there are fragrance oils that are referred to as all natural because all the components are (supposedly) extracted from some product in nature. not essential oils blends, but each of the chemicals is extracted rather than synthesized.

to ME, and this is my opinion only, this is complete and utter nonsense. but then so is the word "natural". and since my views are probably pretty well known, I'll stop right there!

carebear said:
well - there are fragrance oils that are referred to as all natural because all the components are (supposedly) extracted from some product in nature. not essential oils blends, but each of the chemicals is extracted rather than synthesized.

to ME, and this is my opinion only, this is complete and utter nonsense. but then so is the word "natural". and since my views are probably pretty well known, I'll stop right there!

I agree with you on natural Carebear. There are lots of natural products that are harmful as well. The natural fragrance oils seem silly to me.

I was intrigued and went at had a look at these natural fragrance oils. One thing stuck out to me and that was "Phthalate Free". I didn't know what phthalates were so I searched to see what this was about.

What I quickly read was enough to make me question the use of artificial fragrance oils in my natural soaps. :cry:

http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/NEWSCIENCE/oncompounds/phthalates/phthalates.htm

Another quick search tells me that I also need to be careful of Phthalates added to some cheap essential oils to "bulk them out".

Oooook I can't leave that one alone!

I believe that the phthalates thing is being warped and twisted. Phthalates are a CLASS of chemicals and not just one. Some are dangerous but others are completely benign. The ones in fragrance oils are benign, but because manufacturers and suppliers can't seem to get the word out - they've taken the path of least resistance and removed them from many fragrances.

http://store.scent-works.com/phthalatefree.html (click on the link to the IFRA Position Paper)

http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_phth ... iencedaily

balancing is a good word. I don't think you need to agree with my perspective (tho I can't see how you wouldn't ;) ) but it's important to get both sides.

Ooh, Carebear, I'm new to this forum and I don't necessarily know where to track down other posts regarding this topic that you've contributed to - would you mind telling me what you think about synthetic fragrances? Are they safe in your opinion?

When they are, they state they are body safe. There's a huuuuge section of FO's especially designed to use in bath and body products; so yes, these are definitely safe.
Always remember natural does not mean safe. Many EO's can be dangerous if not handled correctly.

Not to beat a dead horse, but how do you know the fragrance oils you are purchasing are body safe? Do they always have some sort of labelling that tells you, or...?

Thank you to everyone for their replies, this is all so helpful! :)

The site you purchase from should state whether the FO is skin safe or not. If it doesn't say one way or the other, I wouldn't assume that it is.

The seller will always have to state so. Here you can find a lot of fragrance oils and companies that sell bath & body safe and/or candle FO's.

Latest posts

Back