My tips for cheap soaping tools and presentation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyfootfarm

Reaction score
I've learned so much from this forum that I'd like to help others, so I'm sharing things I've found to make soaping easier and cheaper.

First up is the wooden moulds I have started using. One is just a wine box from a cheap shop with the lid taken off. The other two that are two thirds are little drawers I had for years laying around that have been modified. I took out the glued in partitions and I can slot them back in to make a small loaf, medium or full size. The pink ribbon in the middle box is what I use to lift the soap out of the box. It is put in under the lining which I'll show next.

moulds.jpg

The lining I am using is just cut up think plastic cutting boards, again from the cheap shop. I tape it all together and just sit it in the mould. So far no leaking and it peels right off the soap very easily.

lining.jpg

My cutting skills sucked and it would a while before I could order a ready made mitre box and cutter so I made one. I've just used pine scraps, measured and cut on my table saw and assembled. I've got a groove for the cutter to slide down into after going through the soap. The cutter is a piece of galvanised tin from a sheet metal shop. I went in and asked for some scrap and the nice man not only gave it to me he insisted on bending the top into a handle!

mitrebox.jpg

The last is my light tent. If you google light tent you'll find plenty of guides on how to make one, but the principle is that it is covered in white material and you have a white cardboard background that curves forward. Make sure you use white or daylight bulbs, if not you can end up with a yellow glow if you use incandescent type or shaped bulbs. White sheet cost me $2 at an op shop and frame was made out of scrap wire I had.

You just move the lamps around till the object is lit well and take your pics. I was a photographer so I do have photoshop and some skills to edit my pics. But you can get good quality pictures with a little help. I'm using the cheapest point and shoot I could find as I haven't been able to replace my good gear that was stolen.

The main thing is set your camera to meter off the whole scene, not just spot metering. If you have a tripod use it too! Also, if you have a macro setting use that as well. The other editing is just cropping and adjusting for colours and contrast etc. I can tell anyone who wants to know how to do this in PS but not sure in other programs. Feel free to ask me any questions.

lighttent.jpg

Thanks for sharing.
I like the idea of the chopping mats. I've seen these around and wondered how they would hold up to the soap.

Awesome ideas, thanks for sharing. Especially the wine box, I wanted some wooden molds but didn't want to pay so much until I knew how much I'd use them.

thanks for the ideas. :)

do you tape the chopping boards together like a box and slide them in? If they are not taped, are you waiting until a thick trace to pour soap?

Yes, I tape them together, it gives a seal and keeps the bits in place. I also fill over the top of the wooden sides so it needs to be taped to stop it coming out the side of the lining.

Thanks so much for sharing your great ideas! I line my molds with the cutting mats also but had never thought of using ribbons for lifting it out of the mold. (I've used the turn it over & dump it out method....just hoping I don't damage the loaf) Your ideas are great!

Thankyou so much. I thought of using wineboxes but those chopping boards as liner ..Great idea,and the ribbons better again!...thanks so much:)!

WOW! the wine box is an awesome idea! and i will be looking out for some plastics from the cheapy shop when i go out today.

I just made an order to america for a wooden mould.... after paying for delivery its still cheaper than buying any decent one from a local supplier.

Well done!!

Back