My soap won't harden

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapandco

Reaction score
I am using this recipe for my soap making, but it didn't harden after 24 hours, instead it has become gooey. 300g olive oil, 200g rice bran oil, 200g sunflower oil, i also used chlorophyl as colorant, ground sesame as scrubs, ylangylang and rose geranium EO. I ran the lye calculator and worked out my NaOH to be 89g with 6% superfat, I have been using the same calculator and it has always been reliable. Please help, thanks.

Olive oil, rice bran oil and sunflower oil are all VERY soft oils, two of which delay trace. Its possible you may have only gotten a false trace.

Although, when i run your recipe i only get 87.5 grams of lye, so 88 at best.

A picture might help if you have one

Im on my tablet but if nothing else you are only using soft oils and they take longer to harden.
I will check amounts and lye when im in front of laptop.

I also suspect a false trace, I always have this problem if I use more than 30% of olive oil in my recipe. It looks like this:

:?

89 grams of lye would equal a 4% superfat in soap calc which is fine for this type of soap. If you used what is considered full water of 38% that would answer why your soap is soft. It should harden but will take time if you actually got it to trace. Be patient and see if it starts setting up in a few days, if not you can rebatch it in a crock pot, double boiler or oven. I always use much less liquid with my 100% castille soaps

Even soaps made with soft oils will eventually harden. Granted it will not harden in a few days. It probably should have been left in the mold for longer. However when you add the proper (or more or even slightly less, ie superfat) amount of lye to oils you will get soap and it will eventually harden. That is just chemistry. However keep in mind that 100% olive oil soaps can take months to harden to a decent level and are sometimes kept for over 8 months before they are considered cured. (I have seen people say 6 months but for me that is still too soon. Really 8 months or more is much better.)

So the good news - it will harden. The bad news - don't hold your breath!

Thanks so much for the help, I will try to adjust the recipe, probably too much water as well, I added 250g water because I wanted to do a swirl, my previous experience was it traced too fast for me to do anything fancy and even having difficulty to transfer it to my mold. Maybe will try re-batching it and see how it turns out. I have never thought that soaps will take days to harden and months to cure!! LOL...

It starts to harden, should've waited longer before I unmold it. But the colour changes, I am not sure it is called "discoloration" in soaping term. I would have tossed it away if not because of you guys here :-D

It starts to harden, should've waited longer before I unmold it. But the colour changes, I am not sure it is called "discoloration" in soaping term. I would have tossed it away if not because of you guys here :-D

More sad news.... Prepare to throw it out anyway.

Two of the oils u used are prone to get DOS. (Dreaded Orange Spots) a.o. due to the short shelf life they have; they get rancid quickly.

So my prediction is that the spots will appear even before this soap is totally cured.

If you like those oils in the soap, consider buying the "high Oleic" type, or don't use more than 10% of the weight of oils in the soap.

Chlorophyl will turn brown, almost all botanicals do..

How much of those expensive EOs did you put in your soap?
(Just to check; any value < 3% of the oil weight in your batch is a loss.
In fact in general 5% is standard).

ok :sad:...

I put about 3% in total of EOs, wanted to do something different this time. Usually I will use cheaper and more common EO like Eucalyptus, peppermint, ginger, sweet orange....

More sad news.... Prepare to throw it out anyway.

Two of the oils u used are prone to get DOS. (Dreaded Orange Spots) a.o. due to the short shelf life they have; they get rancid quickly.

So my prediction is that the spots will appear even before this soap is totally cured.

If you like those oils in the soap, consider buying the "high Oleic" type, or don't use more than 10% of the weight of oils in the soap.

Chlorophyl will turn brown, almost all botanicals do..

How much of those expensive EOs did you put in your soap?
(Just to check; any value < 3% of the oil weight in your batch is a loss.
In fact in general 5% is standard).

I created it :-| so, I guess I have got everything wrong in this one.

Normally I will add castor oil and/or coconut oil and/or palm oil and/or shea butter and/or cocoa butter and most of the time my soaps will turn out well. This time I totally omit any of those.

I created it :-| so, I guess I have got everything wrong in this one.

Not really wrong as such.

I usually ran any new ideas through here first - I don't think people find it annoying (maybe they did!) and it certainly doesn't take away from learning. As in this case, you now know that OO and RBO are almost the same, that some hard oils can help in a recipe and so on.

I found that asking here first saved me a lot of oil :D

Hey you don't have to throw it out even if it develops DOS. You should never sell dos soap but most of the time it is not horrible and is fine to use for your personal use. Live and learn. Personally I LOVE sunflower oil, so I make adjustments and know there is a higher risk of failure. Does not mean I don't use that oil. If we all followed all the rules all the time what boring soap we would all make. It would all be basically the same. So don't let one failure discourage you from trying different things. Always check your lye value but other than that have fun.

Hey you don't have to throw it out even if it develops DOS. You should never sell dos soap but most of the time it is not horrible and is fine to use for your personal use. Live and learn. Personally I LOVE sunflower oil, so I make adjustments and know there is a higher risk of failure. Does not mean I don't use that oil. If we all followed all the rules all the time what boring soap we would all make. It would all be basically the same. So don't let one failure discourage you from trying different things. Always check your lye value but other than that have fun.

I completely agree. Sunflower oil is amazing in soap and I notice a difference even at 5% in a recipe, so I use at least that in most of my recipes. And yes, what a boring soap world it would be if we all followed the guideline rules and had the same recipes.. :screwy:

i also love sunflower, but i agree, you gotta use it in small percentage to avoid DOS and the likes. like hmlove, i'm only using around 5-7% in my formulations.

Latest posts

Back