My own, personal Prozac...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ifiyenia

Reaction score
When things get tough -which seems to be the norm lately- I have a couple of things to help me make it through another day.

One, is soap making.
The other is music. I love music. Almost any kind of music.
When I was still studying at the university, I spend my weekends working part time in a local radio station. A much older radio producer once told me "Try to open up more to the magic of music. You do love it, but you are still very young. But as you grow older, you'll realize that the more you love music, the more different kind of music you'll be able to enjoy".
Back then I laughed. Ok, I was just a kid.
Now, I do realize how right he was.

So lately, my "psychotherapy sessions", my own personal Prozac is opera.
One particular aria always makes me cry, but somehow always makes me feel better afterwards, almost like a catharsis. It touches my soul, and I wanted to share it with all of you, as a thank-you-gift for your welcome, responses, advises and support since the day I joined you.

The quality is not that good, but you really have to see this particular version.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mX7ugJ5NM8[/ame]

A few words about it:
The aria is called "E lucevan le stelle" (As the stars shone), and it's in Part 3 from Toska. It is sung by Tosca's lover, the painter Mario Cavaradossi. In this scene, Cavaradossi is informed that he has one hour to live. He refuses the offer of a priest but is allowed to write a letter which he begins, but is soon overwhelmed by his memories of Tosca.

The lyrics in Italian and a (rather poor since my Italian is not sufficient), translation of them.

E lucevan le stelle,
ed olezzava la terra
stridea l'uscio dell'orto
ed un passo sfiorava la rena.
Entrava ella fragrante,
mi cadea tra le braccia.

O dolci baci, o languide carezze,
mentr'io fremente le belle forme disciogliea dai veli!
Svanì per sempre il sogno mio d'amore.
L'ora è fuggita, e muoio disperato!
E non ho amato mai tanto la vita!

And the stars were flickering,
and the earth smelled so sweet,,
The door was creaking as it opened slowly,
and a footstep would lightly crease the sand.
And she would come in, fragrant as a flower,
and she would then fall into my arms.

Oh, the sweet kisses oh, the lingering caresses,
as I stood there trembling, I would slowly uncover her dazzling beauty.
Now the dream of my love is lost forever
My time is over, and I'm dying in despair!
And never have I loved life more than now!

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do, even if you don't like opera
:wink:

That is lovely Ifiyenia! Thank you for sharing :)

I do turn to music to calm down as well. There is one piece that always brings those tears out and leaves me feeling light and revigorated. It's Joaquín Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez". The same effect has "Caruso", especially Pavarotti's interpretation. These two pieces always make me cry and I feel better for that.

mari :)

mariflo said:
That is lovely Ifiyenia! Thank you for sharing :)

I do turn to music to calm down as well. There is one piece that always brings those tears out and leaves me feeling light and revigorated. It's Joaquín Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez". The same effect has "Caruso", especially Pavarotti's interpretation. These two pieces always make me cry and I feel better for that.

mari :)

Thank you too, Mari!
I like Concierto de Aranjuez a lot, especially from Rodrigo, but Pavarotti's "Caruso" brings back lots and lots of memories... Thanks for reminding me :)

Latest posts

Back