my mom died suddenly this morning

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodi

Reaction score
She turned 84 this February, had been in a nursing home for 5 years after a stroke (following a heart attack and triple bypass surgery). Her personality changed 180 degrees following the stroke, as she lost her speech, and all she could say was "Beautiful, beautiful", "such a pretty!" and a few other positive words of love to everyone she met.

but the call at 4AM this morning was a shock. She had been in such high spirits for the past two weeks, and I was looking forward to visiting her today.

My Dad (now 85) lives in an attached 'retirement lodge' to this nursing care home. He will suffer tremendously without her by his side. They spent every waking minute together, made everyone at the home laugh and smile.

He put her to bed all cheery last night after their usual TV show (Jeopardy) and some puzzles they worked on together. But she wasn't well this morning at 4AM, buzzed for a nurse, and went into a coma very quickly. Dad held her hand while she took her last breath. If you care to, please hold him in your heart while he goes through his grief.

I spent the day with Dad, my brother and his wife, and my hubby. Not a tear have I shed yet. I feel numb and maybe in shock. Like there is a big cement rock in my chest. Strange. The world doesn't feel or look the same without my mother in it. She was always the strong one of us all.

What wierd feelings are going through me ..... I can't breathe; head hurts; heart is heavy. Will I ever be happy again?

Oh Diane, I'm so sorry. I'm going to bed right now and will add you and your family to my prayers.

I can't imagine loosing my Mom.

Oh, Dear Diane, I'm so sorry. Your words bring tears to my eyes. I'll pray for your dad, you and the rest of your family.

Diane,

I am truly sorry for your great loss. Your mother sounds like she was a lovely person and I'm sure she will be missed greatly. Keep her memory close to your heart and count yourself blessed to have had such a wonderful mom. She will surely be watching you from above in a beautiful place. I will keep you and your family in my prayers,

Sibi

Diane,

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with what Sibi said about you being blessed to have had such a wonderful mother. I know it's extremely hard for you right now and I wish I could offer some words of comfort to help you. Blessings to you and your family during such a difficult and sad time.

Dear Diane,

My heart just goes out to you and your father and the rest of your family. It's never, ever easy losing loved ones (I lost my dad, mom, stepdad, stepmom and grandma all within the past 8 years). The hardest deaths for me to deal with were my mom and dad because they both died unexpectedly without any loved ones by their side when it happened. I'm so glad your dad was there with your mom when she took her last breath. It's one of the worst feelings in the world to know a dear loved one was without a hand to hold when they beathed their last. I know only too well the feeling that it doesn't seem possible right now that you'll ever smile again, but it will happen in time. I will be keeping you and your dad in my prayers.

(((((hugs))))))
IrishLass

Diane, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved mother. I lost mine 9 years ago, and yes...you will be happy again, but not entirely without the ache I'm afraid. Please know that we are holding you and your family in our prayers. Also sending ((((((hugs))))))).

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Will be thinking of you and your family.
Please take care of yourself.

Thinking of you Dianne, I lost my mum way to early she was only 59 so I fully understand how you feel, My thoughts and prayers are with you all....

I still miss my mum 4 yrs on xx

I'm sorry for the loss of you and your family. I can only imagine how hard this would be for your dad :(

However, your mother died feeling loved, with her husband by her side, and that's a beautiful thing.

Diane I'm so sorry that you and your loved ones are grieving for your Mum, but what wonderful memories you all have and this will support your Dad and help you all during the hours, weeks, months ahead!

Sending Kiwi Hugs to you, your Dad and your family!

Thank you everyone. It does ease the pain to hear from you all.

Today we go to the funeral parlor to discuss procedures. A snow storm is upon us at the moment - pretty, large white flakes thickening the skies.

I am so sorry for your loss, Diane. I went through the death of my dh's parents and while neither were totally unexpected, you can never truly know how you will feel until it happens. My thoughts are with you.

Hugs to you and your Dad.

Latest posts

Back