My lye wasnt dissolved, my soap didnt take...help the newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amartin1900

Reaction score
I left my lye water to cool down after stirring. Came back awhile later and it was solid on the bottom. For some stupid reason I went forward anyway. The solid form stayed as I poured the lye water into the oils. I figured it wouldn't trace and I would ditch it. Well I mixed for 10minutes and left it when I thought it was hopeless. Came back an hour later and it was like applesauce. So i went ahead and finished it with scents, colors and molding. This morning it was seperated slightly with thin layer of oils on top and somewhat solidified.

What if anything can I do to save this soap?

Re: My lye wasnt dissolved, my soap didnt take...help the ne

Why not put it in the crockpot and rebatch?

if it doesnt have the right amount of lye, can i just rebatch it or do i need to add something?

I would sure try to rebatch it without adding more lye. I don't know how you could tell how much lye is missing. If after you cook it and pour it into the mold, it sets up solid, then it should be OK to use. It may not be very cleansing, but it could be combined with soap scraps that you save and that way the lye will evened out.

Okay,
I put some in the crock pot last night. After a couple of hours it had seperated a lot. Should I drain off the extra oil and try to rebatch that?

Did you try to stickblend the mixture back together after it separated?

Don't remove the oily layer; then you won't know what you have.

You should be able to stir/whisk/stick blend it to a smooth consistency and then pour it into a mold.

If it doesn't work this time, I'd say throw it out and start over.

Sorry this happened!

Back