My homemade molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldragbagger

Reaction score
Just wanted to share with those of you sweating the mold thing..... it's not that hard to make your own. Here are the two I have built so far, the large one I just finished last night after spending countless hours scouring the internet for "the perfect solution" and being overwhelmed with the prices (not to mention mixed reviews - it's no liner, it's not no liner).

dscn0103u.jpg

The first mold I built is for test batches, it makes 9 good sized bars.

dscn0102x.jpg

dscn0101t.jpg

One hinged side drops down to make removal of the loaf easier.

dscn0100s.jpg

When the hinged side is up, you insert the screws through the ends to hold it in place. I drilled the holes oversized so the screws just slip in rather than having to be screwed in.

After awhile I decided to try a MrDoRight123 no-liner mold. $54 I think for the set of 1-2 lb. molds. They are nice, and well made and sturdy and easy to clean, but I have never been able to use these without a liner. More about my experience with these on this thread http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10346&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

So when I decided it was time for a larger mold, I decided to save myself a pocketfull of green and build my own again. This large one will make 27 bars. It cost me less than $10 to make. (The small one above cost about $5.) It did take a whole day but that is okay. I work for the schools and am off for the summer. I have plenty of time, but no money so this was the perfect solution for me.

dscn0099.jpg

The lifting ring in the top is leftover from a boat rebuild my husband and I did years ago. It certainly isn't necessary, but it was fun to do and it looks cool. I also routed the edges. Again, not necessary, but I was having fun so what the hell.

dscn0098.jpg

The marks on the sides I burned into the wood so I would have a cutting reference for cutting the loafs. I can mark them with a straightedge and a stylus and then cut them with a 16" double handled cheeseknife. (See this link for a great deal on this knife http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=11966&catid=641

dscn0097p.jpg

I routed channels in one end so that this end slides in and out for easier removal of the loaf. I decided I preferred this to hinges.

After I have cut my loafs, I will slide them into my modified MrDoRight cutting guide and cut the bars.

I'm no carpenter. If I can do it, anyone can.

Can't wait to make my first BIG batch of soap!!!!

Those are absolutely beautiful. I am not talented in that way. Is there any plan to sell these? My favorite by far is the log mold. I bought one of those divider molds and can't say I love it.

No plans to sell them. I don't mind taking a whole day to make one for myself, but I'd rather be making soap anytime!!
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Wow, those are great!! You did a fab job!
How cool to have a hubby who will let you play with his tools!

My husband and I were sitting on the porch one day watching my sister run her hubbys table saw next door. I asked, why can't I play with yours?
My husband says "out of concern for your well being, you are not allowed to play with my tools. (insert long pause) Ever!"

I'm not sure if his concern is for the tools hurting me or him hurting me when I touch them, lol. I guess he has reason to worry though, seeing as I poured Kerosene in the lawnmower instead of gas...then proceeded to snap the chain off and run over it with the blades, before it started coughing gasping for gas.

DeeDee said:
Wow, those are great!! You did a fab job!
How cool to have a hubby who will let you play with his tools!

My husband and I were sitting on the porch one day watching my sister run her hubbys table saw next door. I asked, why can't I play with yours?
My husband says "out of concern for your well being, you are not allowed to play with my tools. (insert long pause) Ever!"

I'm not sure if his concern is for the tools hurting me or him hurting me when I touch them, lol. I guess he has reason to worry though, seeing as I poured Kerosene in the lawnmower instead of gas...then proceeded to snap the chain off and run over it with the blades, before it started coughing gasping for gas.

lol, i am not allowed to use fireworks because i do the same style stuff with them. i once loaded in one of those fireworks that are suppossed to go into a tube and then they shoot out into the sky like little balls of colored fire. well i followed directions exactly and then once lit backed up a good distance. the thing some how got stuck in the tube and picked up the entire tube and was shooting the fire balls into our group. everytime a ball shot out the tube aimed a different way so all of us were running trying to get away from the balls and diving/ducking in a new direction. it was so funny. after that, i wasn't even allowed to hold the lighter :oops:

ps, no one was injured it was more comical than dangerous

You guys are a riot :D

My husband can't object too much to my using the tools. He asked me to help him rebuild several old boats over the years. He bought me a house that is almost 100 years old and asked me to help him fix it up. I had to buy lots of power tools to help him accomplish these things he asked of me. Now it would not be in his best interest to bitch if I use the tools!!!

Oh wow, yes, you probably should step back from the lighters! I bet that would of been funny to see though, lol.
But I am glad no one was hurt!!

Really, you did a really great job! You and your husband should be proud of the hard work you put into those!

oldragbagger said:
I'm no carpenter. If I can do it, anyone can.

:lol: If that's what you can do for being not a carpenter, I'm interested to see what else you aren't!

Really, beautifully made.

You did a fantastic job on those molds , great designs and beautifully made. I am allowed to use the power tools too lol. I love building things .( they don't look as good as yours but they function like I intended ) :shock:

Kitn

Those are great!

I'm allowed to touch the power tools... seeing as they are MY tools! DH plays with metal (welding, etc), I play with wood. ;) Ever since I saw wood molds for sale, I've been head-designing some for myself. But first I need to have a better idea of sizes and accoutrements before I get down to actually making one.

Those have given me some great ideas though! Did you do the side molding of the second box yourself as well?

Incidentally, have you ever made your own log/bar cutter?

I have not made a cutter except the modification I made to the mrdoright cutter I bought. As far as a log cutter, I am just going to score a line on the slab and pray I can push the knife down straight. If I find I am failing to do that consistently then I will figure out the next thing. There are numerous contraptions on the web that all cost a fortune, but if I find I need something I think I will just make a guide for cutting logs just like the one I have for cutting bars, just something to help the knife go down straight. I built everything myself on both molds from a couple of 1x4s a 1x6 and 4' of 1x12.

my drying rack also........

I also made this drying rack out of 1x2 and a whole lot of batten. It is 30" long x 18" deep. I will probably outgrow it soon though as I plan to graduate from "test batches" tomorrow and start soaping in my new large mold. The batten ended up being kindof pricey. I could have spaced them farther apart and saved a little but I am so anal. I will probably end up buying them from soapequipment.com when I get to the point of needing more.

dscn0097.jpg

That orangey batch at the front of the middle row is my goatmilk and honey batch that never fully gelled. The dark colored batch in the 3rd row had coconut milk in it and monkey farts fragrance. I used no colorants whatsoever, it turned really dark like that on its own. It's sortof pretty that way.

nice molds! And great looking drying rack! I made my own molds too....with some help from DH because he wouldn't let me run the power saw. :( I don't get that because he is always the one hurting himself in some way from being careless.

Latest posts

Back