my first successful batch of 100% olive oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susucosp

Reaction score
hi, all.

here is my first sucessful batch of 100% olive oil. here is the picture.

as i only buy 3 candy tray, the rest i just pour it into a plastic container. i want to remelt the batch today and put them into candy tray too.

is it possible to remelt the batch? is this consider as pour and melt method.

i try to microwave it for 30 second, it does not melt. i try to microwave it for another 60 second, it foam up like a cup cake!

do i need to use distilled water and slow heat to remelt the batch again?

I don't see a pic, but you can rebatch in a crock pot. Since the soap is still fairly new, there is no need to add more water. I would not use the microwave.

No, don't use the microwave - it will just puff up like you mentioned.

Do you have a crock pot - slow cooker?? If not, you can use a pan on a stove IF you use low heat and watch carefully. It's not called melt and pour; that's a different soap all together, and not one we home soap makers can make. It would be called "rebatching" and you can do this if you want to.

Anyway, to answer your question, use slow heat and little to no added water. If you add water, not more than a couple of spoonfulls I should think.

rebatching of 100% olive oil soap

it is not easy to rebatch the soap again. i have crocket pot, it will take forever to melt the soap may be 4 hours to melt. i have browse the picture from my computer. do i really need the image shack to be able to post a picture? after i browse, do i have to host it?? this is my first time in this forum!

No, don't use the microwave - it will just puff up like you mentioned.

Do you have a crock pot - slow cooker?? If not, you can use a pan on a stove IF you use low heat and watch carefully. It's not called melt and pour; that's a different soap all together, and not one we home soap makers can make. It would be called "rebatching" and you can do this if you want to.

Anyway, to answer your question, use slow heat and little to no added water. If you add water, not more than a couple of spoonfulls I should think.

virgin olive oil is better than olive oil

because my first batch i have no idea what i am doing. so i go back to Walmart to buy 1 more olive oil and try again. since i basically know what i am doing and i try it out. the olive oil do not mix well the lye solution at all. there are a lot of little bubble in the mixture. i have to try to push back the bubble into the trace. the trace do not feel smooth as there are so many tiny tiny little bubble in this. this is my finding. although the virgin olive oil is only $0.15 more in Walmart. but it does melt completely without much bubble in it.

i also go to Michaels and buy one more cup cake tray so that i have 25oz mold for one batch. i do not have to use any pvc cup no more.

:wink:

wow the soaps look really cute - are they silicone molds? You did a good job of getting them out of the mold :)

I don't think olive oil contributes to bubbles, it will be the stick blending. You can try banging the container with the soap batter in it, on the counter, the bubbles will come to the top and pop.

If my batch is small enough I rebatch in the microwave, just a few short burst, stiring the froth inbetween and its good to go. You can rebatch in 2 mins instead of hours in the crock pot.

they are candy mold from Michaels. when i go i forget to print the 40% off coupon so i buy only 3 candy molds. today i buy the silicon cup cake mould since i have the coupon from yesterday, 40%. i would like to find some christmas tree candy mold? do anyone know where to find some?

i put in the freezer for 30 mins, and they pop right out. no mess. no left over. i do not like the rectangular shape. it is too boring.

i am newbie, microwave is very hard to control. now i have all the mold i need for a 25oz batch. so i can make a batch everyday until the season start in Dec. i would like to do small scale now. i guess i do not have to do rebatching no more. no more cutting, no more ends.

i have a question, why we have to cover the batch with tower. to slow down the cooling?

busymakinsoap! said:
wow the soaps look really cute - are they silicone molds? You did a good job of getting them out of the mold :)

I don't think olive oil contributes to bubbles, it will be the stick blending. You can try banging the container with the soap batter in it, on the counter, the bubbles will come to the top and pop.

If my batch is small enough I rebatch in the microwave, just a few short burst, stiring the froth inbetween and its good to go. You can rebatch in 2 mins instead of hours in the crock pot.

susucosp said:
now i have all the mold i need for a 25oz batch. so i can make a batch everyday until the season start in Dec. i would like to do small scale now. i guess i do not have to do rebatching no more. no more cutting, no more ends.

A batch a day! What are you going to do with all of that soap? :D

there may be some market 100% olive oil soap ( or 60%-70%)

i am selling hand craft jewelry in arizona to the snowbirds. since i need a good and moisturize soap for myself badly. i think there may be market for these soap for the snowbirds too. i google online there is only one online company selling 100% olive soap from Olivella, commercially made. shipping is $3 + $1.XX for the soap. so it cost nearly $5 for an 100% olive oil soap bar. that brand is not avaliable in store yet.

i have invested about 3 weeks studying making soap and i think i will invest more time. and i have a place that i can sell already. why not selling them too?

A batch a day! What are you going to do with all of that soap? :D[/quote]

there is another company Kiss My Face who declare pure olive oil selling online, they just say pure olive oil, not 100% $1.79 +4.99 shipping, so total is $6.78.

i think there may be a possible section market there.

[/quote]A batch a day! What are you going to do with all of that soap? :D[/quote]

I can tell that you speak English as a second language, so the nuance of Kiss My Face's claim may be lost, but the use of the phrase "Pure Olive Oil" is exactly the same meaning as 100% Olive Oil.

"Pure" means not mixed with anything else.

It seems you are new to the soapmaking world. I would not sell til you have been making soap for a while. You also need to get all your paperwork in order including liability insurance.

liability insurance, liscense, any other paper work?

i have only made 2 small batches of soap.

Besides liability insurance, business liscense, what other paper work do you need for home made soap? i have never seen any crafters who claim they have FDA approval? i have seen a lot of crafters who sell their home made soap, lotion, scrub, ..... in farmer markets.

It seems you are new to the soapmaking world. I would not sell til you have been making soap for a while. You also need to get all your paperwork in order including liability insurance.

You don't need FDA approval. But you do need experience and your recent posts suggest that you barely know the basic methods, terminology, and science behind soapmaking. You haven't even used the soap that you have made to know if it is any good and 100% olive oil soap should cure a minimum of 4 months. You can use it before 4 months safely but the lather might feel slimy. And I certainly wouldn't sell it before that amount of time had elapsed.

Rather than rewrite what has already been said on this forum many times, I suggest that you read this post which has been made into a sticky in the business section of this forum:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=17621

You also might find that people are not selling 100% olive oil soaps for a reason, if you search on this forum there are lots of comment about them being prone to DOS. You need to be sure that your bars don't go rancid, which would take at least a year to determin.

I admire your confidence, but if you had researched as you say, you would have read the advice on here regarding selling early. I'm all for selling if you know your product and have a good grasp of soaping, but that is not possible after 2 batches.

BTW - soap doesnt moisturise, and I personally dont believe that 100% OO soaps are any more 'moisturising' than any other soap. Your superfatting is what makes your soap gentle and non drying, this can be achieved with any recipe.

Ditto everything judymoody said. She gave you excellent advice.

As one who has been making soap for a little over 5 years now, and with hundreds of batches under my belt, I can say without hesitation that you do not want to be selling your handmade soap this soon. I do not say this in any way to be a discouragment to you, but to be honestly helpful.

Trust me- even though your soap came out of your mold looking good (I saw your pics and they do look pretty), you don't know how they will do over the long haul yet. They still have to go through a cure period and should be kept around even longer than that for testing purposes (ideally a year if you ask me) to make sure you have a good product that can stand up the test of time.

Handmade soap is definitely not a craft that one can rush into. I've learned from experience that things can and do go wrong over time to initially good looking batches of soap. I know there are many that do rush into it and start selling after their first batch or two, but they are living way too close to the edge if you ask me, and they give a bad name to the good, conscientious soapers who do take the time to put their product to the test.

I know you are very excited and rearing to go (I've been there myself), but please slow down and take the time to read the link that judymoody posted above before making any plans to sell. The link is full of great, sage advice that if taken to heart will ensure success and the retention of a good reputation in the soapmaking community.

IrishLass :)

dieSpinne said:
I can tell that you speak English as a second language, so the nuance of Kiss My Face's claim may be lost, but the use of the phrase "Pure Olive Oil" is exactly the same meaning as 100% Olive Oil.

"Pure" means not mixed with anything else.

No, not necessarily and not really. What "contains pure olive oil" or "made with pure olive oil" means is that one of the ingredients is "pure olive oil", not that it's made exclusively with olive oil.

The Kiss My Face Olive Oil soap is not, clearly, made of only olive oil - or it wouldn't be soap.

The KMF is more "honest" than some, Olive is the only oil they use. But look at some other items and you will see. For example you can see candles that say "made with pure soy wax" (they blend pure soy wax with other waxes).

Latest posts

Back