My first somewhat successful swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maiseycat

Reaction score
I used TD for the first time. Mine is water solube, so I mixed it in with my lye solution. I didn't get the brightness I expected from it, but I susoect since I use Olive Oil Pomace, which is dark in colour, that likely contributed. The blue is coloured with mica. I orginally intended this to be an ITP swirl, but my trace got too thick. I ended up pouring in my mold in uneven layers, and using a chopstick to swirl it up a bit.

I let this one gel, which is what I think make it look al l crackly. It's tongue neutral, so I am not worried about there being any unused lye.

I think I am going to try for a coat hanger swirl next time, and if I use TD again, I will try to prevent gel as much as I can.

IMAG0002-15_zpsb8d44e36-1_zps8d789d6a.jpg

Good job! The crackle can be caused by using too much TD, never heard of gel causing it. so maybe use less next time. :)

Very pretty! You won't get brightness from TD. It makes colors look more pastel as opposed to bright. Ask me how I know.

I recommend getting oil soluble TD if you want to use it to make a portion of the soap "whiter" but keep the brightness in the colored portion of the soap. I noticed Brambleberry has TD which is supposed to be both oil and water soluble. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it will work.

Very nice, I love blue and white soaps. Where did you find water soluable TD?

It's a Canadian supplier called Voyageur. http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/default.asp I know they do ship to US. They do figure out the exact shipping based on your order and only charge that, but because of that the shipping cost doesn't show when you check out. If you are interested in buying something, I'd either email or call their toll free number to get a shipping quote.

Very pretty! You won't get brightness from TD. It makes colors look more pastel as opposed to bright. Ask me how I know.

I recommend getting oil soluble TD if you want to use it to make a portion of the soap "whiter" but keep the brightness in the colored portion of the soap. I noticed Brambleberry has TD which is supposed to be both oil and water soluble. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it will work.

I might get some oil soluble to compare them. I'd try Brambleberry's, but being in Canada, I suspect the shipping would be expensive. Luckily, one of the places I like to order from does have the oil soluble kind.

---
I use BB's water/oil soluble TD and found it that it actually works best for me if dissolved in a bit of water first, mixed well, and then added after trace. Doing it this way has completely eliminated those clumps of TD that I use to get when mixing with the oils.

Back