my first batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychicknpi

Reaction score
Well,
I made my first batch, it looks great drying. There will not be any photos following, DSL (deliberately slow line) dial-up is not conducive to uploading or downloading..... :cry:
So far it looks great and smells great, too.
This is my recipe:
2lbs oil
8 oz olive oil
8 oz coconut oil
16 oz lard
1.5 oz FO (Felicity from Day-Star)(NOT the accelerating one)
12.16 oz water
4.472 oz lye (NaOH)
I set my superfat at 7% (though someone mentioned that Soapcalc doesn't compute for that???)

I used it this morning after zap testing it....definitely soft, but patience is not my long suit! :shock: It had a nice creamly lather and didn't dry my skin out. I didn't use it on my face, being a yellow belly coward that I am!

So, here are the parts that are not pretty about my first time:

1) I used my 5 yo's green crayon for color and was caught in the act of desecrating it.....she was singularly unimpressed. (It was not her only one and was a cheapy, anyway. :wink: )

2) Some how I got it in my head we should zap test it in the raw stage and that was pretty awful! :oops: I have never put my tongue on a 9 volt, but I have now touched raw soap to my tongue.....yick! :shock: :shock: :shock:

3) I let it get to way thick trace and the outside of the bars are not too smooth!

All in all, dumb mistakes learned from and set aside it was GREAT! I really liked doing it, and my eldest son even helped, since he thought I was not using my SB to it's greatest potential! And now he and my middle son have a story about 18 volt soap tasting to share with generations to come...they have already shared it with everyone who will listen and it's likely no one will try my soap but DH and me. Oh well, we will be clean for a long time to come! :D
Thanks again for all your help, whether you know you helped or not, it was and is appreciated!
Fire away with any critiques or comments, they are welcomed.
Anna

Latest posts

Back