My first batch! With more pics than you could ever want!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cthylla

Reaction score
I made my first batch last night....and boy, what a high!! I didn't want to wait for my colors from BrambleBerry...so I used some cocoa powder to make brown. I LOVED the way the swirls were on top...unfortunately they didn't look nearly as nice inside. :? The WORST part was figuring out how to get my solid Palm Kernel oil through a 2" opening on a 7 pound bottle. Really?? It ended up being quite a production.

5604987936_027b6cf242.jpg

I waited 18 hours before unmolding it and cutting it...I was a bit concerned because it looked like the colors were not uniform. The soap already seemed a little hard, and the edges were a little crumbly when I cut it. I thought it would be softer when I unmolded it. I hope this is okay? I am a little afraid that I poured it before trace. I'm also afraid I cut it when it was still in a partial gel?

5607752005_4a0ea089a9.jpg

Haha, look at my noob air bubbles:

5608335284_6aedeb2ebe.jpg

5607752629_20b46876f4.jpg

I also ordered pH strips with my BrambleBerry order, so I can test the soap just to be sure.

I already have a second batch in the mold...and this one DEFINITELY traced. I was a little miffed that my dark red tea water turned GREEN and then brown from the lye...and the finished soap ended up looking like vanilla frosting. So I added some sprinkles for fun! I'll wait the 24 hours this time.

5608337198_143f68f9f5.jpg

Thanks for letting me share! :D

Thank you!! Yes, I figured the sprinkles would make a mess.... but that's okay. The colors will be hard to see around the tattoos. haha :lol:

Really nice! I love your last one especially. I'm a sucker for things with sprinkles on top! :D Great job!

Really nice job for your first batches... and the cocoa powder swirl looked so nice! I liked the contrast between the top and the inside.

great job!
i wait until my soap has cooled down all the way and then cut, usually around 12 hours for me, but i gel in the oven to ensure i get a full gel. if you were getting crumbly edges at 18 hours, i'd cut a little earlier, rather than later. :)

if you were getting crumbly edges at 18 hours, i'd cut a little earlier, rather than later. :)[/quote]

if it didn't gel all the way I find it actually helps to cut later to reduce the crumbles, even an extra day if you can wait that long.

A swirl for your first soap? Wow! I'm impressed! I've been soaping for months and am just getting to the point where I think I'm going to try it. Though I have to admit, I also really like the bare naked soap look, so I'm just getting into trying colors.

Yes, great job! I love the way the cocoa swirls came out. That soap looks almost edible :)

Wowzers!!! You've got some great looking soap there - it does look like you could eat it!!

Another addict to the weekly soapaholics circle - welcome aboard!!!

Latest posts

Back