My first batch of HP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyaynn

Reaction score
Made my first batch of CPHP soap yesterday, and unmolded and cut it today. It is a kitchen soap with eucalyptus and rosemary essential oils, as well as lemon peel. I don't think odors stand a chance against this soap! I think it came out pretty well for my first batch. It didn't crumble, and I expected the top to look funky. Doesn't seem to be spongy, but I guess I'll wait until I use it to tell.

Here is the soap: (the orange spots are NOT DOS, but the lemon peel)

finishedsoap.jpg

I also made myself a wooden soap mold and wooden soap cutting jig last week. Here they are:

soapmold.jpg

soapjig.jpg

soapinjig.jpg

Clever you! I can't cut a straight line to save my life and I've been meaning to make something like this. Maybe seeing yours will finally motivate me. I love yellow and your soap is great looking!

What are the dimensions on your soap box if it is okay to ask. I want to get a friend to make me one and I really like yours with he hooks on the side. Your soap looks really good.
Thanks for showing your cutting box too. Where did you by the slicer?

To make the mold and cutter I used 1" x 4" poplar, so the actual dimensions of the wood are 3/4" x 3.5". I made the box 10 inches long (the bottom block of wood and sides), so the dimensions are 10" x 3.5" x 2.5" for the actual soap block. The back side and hinged front add about 1 1/2" to the actual measurements of the box.

The cutting jig has roughly the same dimensions, except I made the bottom block 11 1/2 " long to accommodate the block I used to butt the soap against the edge.

The cutter I got from Brambleberry or Pine Meadows (both online). I can't remember which. But they are available on most soaping sites I think.

Thanks for the nice comments on the mold. The pictures don't show the gaps and such! I didn't cut the wood in the best lighting, and it was the first time I ever used a circular saw. But lined with parchment paper, the soap doesn't leak through.

Latest posts

Back