Most consistent cuts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
Whats the best way to get the most consistent cuts?

For example. I have a homemade miter box style cutter that I made. When I made it, I used my hand saw to create the channel that the soap cutter travels through to cut the soap.

Unfortunately, the kerf of my saw (and most saws) is larger than the thickness of the soap knife. So what I wind up with is 12 bars of soap that are all somewhat different in size.

This is fine until you try to label them. If you do a cigar band style label, you center the front, then by the time you get to the back, you're not centered any longer. Because your bars are all slightly different in size (typically only 1/16 of an inch or less).

I'm sure one of those fancy 12 wire cutters would do the trick, but any other methods to get a consistent cut every time?

I also use a home-made miter box and it works pretty well (but I don't sell my soap so don't consistently label).
I made the miter box so that the soap knife (bench scraper) just fits into it. Had 4 pieces of wood, 2 on each side, attached to the base.
Could you maybe use a tape or something to make your opening narrower?

I use a homemade wire cutter. Its basically a mite box with a coping saw that has a wire instead of blade.
When I make my cuts, I make sure I hold the wire tight against the wood as I slice.
I really need to make a proper cutter with a stationary wire.

Unfortunately, the kerf of my saw (and most saws) is larger than the thickness of the soap knife. So what I wind up with is 12 bars of soap that are all somewhat different in size.
I hear ya. I have the same problem with a store-bought miter box. Find something to use as a shim -- cardboard about the thickness of a book of matches doubled over worked for me. A popcicle stick might work or balsa wood?

Also, instead of a knife, I use a pastry blade for a straight sided cut.
0e0683e9-ecdf-4a37-bdbc-ff2f528bdb9f_1.09e9fa1deed2ad483f7f697ef734fd93.jpeg

Have you tried a cheese cutter? It's basically the same principle as a wire soap cutter but a bit cheaper and easier to come by. I've found any cutter with a blade (knife, pastry cutter, etc) causes the bars to break off a bit at the bottom due to the wedging action.

You can use a thin bladed ham knife which is the same thickness all the way through. What I use to do was measure with a ruler and mark the soap with a nic on all sides, then cut slowly making sure your on track with the markings. It's time consuming, but I found out it worked for me. If you are impatient, forget it.
I now use a homemade cutter that dh made, which cuts single bars. I enjoy cutting one at a time. :D

I second a cheese cutter if you can't afford to purchase a soap cutter. I tried the miter box and everything else. My husband even built me a couple. Once I decided to sell my husband built me a multi bar wire cutter. Then 4 years later purchased my Bud multi bar wire cutter. Couldn't get consistent enough bars otherwise.

I agree that making the slot your knife or cutter fits into narrower is the way to go, since you already have your set up established. You could use tape, but a thin piece of cutting board material might work better and be more consistent. Maybe try some mylar sheets and possibly glue them in once you determine the thickness that works for you.

Thanks for the great replies. I think I have a temporary solution (I'm just kind of only experimenting now anyway). Printing the front and back of the label on the same sheet creates the need for a consistent cut. Without consistent cuts, you'll almost never perfectly center the back of the label on the bar. Then you also have to hope your bars also cure evenly which you cannot control.

I think I'm going to try only printing the front on the label, then it will be easier to center. Then print the back out on a sticker and the sticker can be centered on the back.

Latest posts

Back