Weight of Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After cutting my soap with a 18 bar soap cutter .

I put the slab through my slab cutter so all bars are the same size .

First day cure . A few of my bars weight different . Between 149 grams and 160 grams. Is that normal ?

A few of my bars weight different . Between 149 grams and 160 grams. Is that normal ?
Yes. At first. But "practice makes perfect". It takes time to learn how to make "precision" cuts. The best you can do is get close and not worry about it. It is "handmade" after all.

If you are OCD about it, after full cure, i.e., the weight stays the same for several days at some point, you can shave the excess to make them all the same weight. Not fun. 😝 Save the shavings to make confetti soap. :thumbup:

ETA:
After cutting my soap with a 18 bar soap cutter . I put the slab through my slab cutter so all bars are the same size .
You might ask the manufacturer for tips for cutting more precise bars. ;)

Yes. At first. But "practice makes perfect". It takes time to learn how to make "precision" cuts. The best you can do is get close and not worry about it. It is "handmade" after all.

If you are OCD about it, after full cure, i.e., the weight stays the same for several days at some point, you can shave the excess to make them all the same weight. Not fun. 😝 Save the shavings to make confetti soap. :thumbup:

ETA:

You might ask the manufacturer for tips for cutting more precise bars. ;)
Okay sounds good . Thank you for the reply and time

Here’s the soap

Attachments

• 4388C6EF-DD8F-4ED3-BEB6-723E002D3DAA.png
    4388C6EF-DD8F-4ED3-BEB6-723E002D3DAA.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Soap poured into a mold will not be precisely the same height even if it's poured at thin trace and the soap maker is careful to level the batter.

Your last picture shows this to be especially true for your batch -- there's quite a variation in height from left to right.

That's the reason for your weight variation. Don't blame your cutter.

I was coming here to say the same thing. If you don’t bang down your mold very well, or smooth it with a scraper, the weights can be dramatically different due to bar height, especially if you pour it at medium or thick trace, or if you swirl or texture the top. Ask me how I know. 😉

I was coming here to say the same thing. If you don’t bang down your mold very well, or smooth it with a scraper, the weights can be dramatically different due to bar height, especially if you pour it at medium or thick trace, or if you swirl or texture the top. Ask me how I know. 😉
Okay sounds good . I like my bars neat . But its hard ahaha

Latest posts

Back