Most common antioxidant used

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielle22033

Reaction score
I was just wondering what is the most common/standard antioxidants that everyone uses in CP or HP and when do you add it to the process? Also, do you have to calculate it in with making your recipes because of the lye?

Thanks

I'm not sure why you are wanting an antioxidant in your soap. Is this for the benefit of the soap, or for the skin of the user?

I use a few drops of Vit E in every batch. I have not had a problem with DOS since I started using Vit E.

Does using the coffee or tea add antioxidants?

I believe that it does, and there's a bunch of literature out there that suggests that there are antioxidants in coffee/tea, but I have no proof/evidence that it lends antioxidants to soap. Still, it's cheap, it works for me, and ppl seem to like the cafe/soap concept.

I never get discernible DOS on my coffee/tea soaps, for whatever that's worth.

..Still can't bring myself to use artificial ingredients though.

I hear you, roseb. At least ROE performed pretty well in the article (as Donna also discussed above), and that is a natural option.

BHT is a controversial synthetic AO. Many warn about its potential ill effects on our health, but its allowed by the FDA in many of the foods we eat (like cereals). Nothing like conflicting info to help us make educated decisions, right? :-?

Hello!
Im a new member on this forum.
Nice to meet everyone!

I have question, I was wondering if anyone has tried spraying ROE onto the soaps after its been made to preserve/prevent from getting rancid or getting dos?
Say if you forget to add it before or during the soap making process.
Just wondering if that has worked for anyone who has tried that.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Another ingredient that may be useful as a rancidity preventative would be natural mixed tocopherols- extracted from soybeans so for those with bean allegeries even the 1% recommended usage rate could be too much. There are enhanced forms of mixed d-aplha tocopherols under licensed names such as Covi-Ox (Lotion Crafters) that were "improved" to be better at preventing rancidity. You may be able to buy vitamin e straight off the food store shelf and empty those capsules out for what you need but make sure to purchase only "natural MIXED tocopherols" or d-at, not d-ATA, not tocopherol acetate, not acetate Vitamin E which will not work.

ROE works well as a rancidity preventative, too, but the mixed tocopherols natural Vit E may work LONGER. Covering the soap in ROE may work but I'd think only for the surface it covers & it may add a rosemary scent which may or may not be desired. Jojoba may be a better covering agent since it's wax, not an unsaturated fat- & won't oxidize and no smells. I sometimes worry the oil the rosemary is dissolved into will oxidize. If using jojoba, no worries on that regard.

Julie

To answer a question earlier- If you use an anti-oxidant preservative in your soaps it may help prevent soap from getting rancid. If you run through your soaping oils, butters/fats quickly, they are fresh when used in formulations and the product gets sold or used within a 6 month period, you may be fine without a rancidity preservative.

To preserve fats that aren't used quickly, using 0.5% of natural mixed tocopherols will preserve the quality of your oils, keep it smelling "new," not old and oily or fishy-like.

Here is a description of what it is and how to use Covi-Ox Mixed Tocopherols from Lotion Crafters.

Covi-Ox T-50 Mixed Tocopherols​
INCI: Tocopherol​
DESCRIPTION​
Covi-Ox T-50​
[FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]is a transparent, brownish-red, viscous oil with a characteristic odor. It is a 50% active blend of natural mixed tocopherols isolated from vegetables oils and concentrated to contain naturally occurring
d-alpha, d-beta, d-gamma and d-delta tocopherols in a soybean oil base. Covi-Ox guards against oxidation and extends your product’s shelf life naturally.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
BENEFITS​
•​
[FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]Retards rancidity in formulations

• Active substance in skin care and hair after-treatment preparations

• Used as early as possible, extends the shelf life of natural oils

• Heat tolerant, allowing for early addition in the formulating process

• May be labeled as "natural vitamin E" in products

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
APPLICATIONS​
[FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]
Raw Ingredients: Vegetable and cosmetic oils, essential oils
Skin Care: Lotions and creams
Cosmetics: Lip Balms and sticks​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
TYPICAL USAGE RATES​
Raw Ingredients​
[FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]Normal use levels: 0.04 to 0.5% added as soon as possible

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Formulations​
[FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]Normal use levels: 0.5 – 1.5%

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
FORMULATING WITH COVI-OX T-50​
Covi-Ox T-50​
[FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]is heat stable and can be added to the oil phase of formulations prior to heating them. Can be added to vegetable and cosmetic oils at room temperature with mixing.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
USABLE LIFE AND STORAGE​
[FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=AJDBKM+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]Unstable to acid, light, alkali, and oxidizing agents. When stored at ambient temperatures in unopened container, shelf-life is 36 months. Protect from light and air in tightly closed containers. Store at temperatures 60°- 85°F. Do not refrigerate.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I just read Dr. J's attached article authored by Kevin Dunn, "The Dreaded Orage Spot." Very good information, thanks for the post. In Kevin's series of experiments he uses "Vit E" and proved it did nothing to prevent oxidation. He may have used artificial Vit E: d-alpha tocopherol acetate, or dl-apha tocopherol acetate, instead of natural mixed tocopherol Vit E, both are termed "Vit E" as a generality. The year the article was written, 2005, it was thought if artificial Vit E did this, then so would natural. That is simply not the case.

My day job, as very minor aspect, studies the oxidation of unsaturated fats and how to keep oils fresh. We work hard to prevent, as do our unsaturated fat suppliers, rancidity as indicated by peroxides & anisidine, which together reach high total oxidation values. We experiment and test with primarily natural ingredients. We have proven mixed tocopherols work as have our suppliers through independent studies of their own. In fact, we no longer have to request mixed tocopherols or ROE be added to oils before delivery. The RM supplier adds the ingredient at a level of about 0.5%.

Regarding my understanding of soap and rancidity, it would be very probable that Vit E added to oils to extend shelf life to highly unsaturated fats would be beneficial for a few reasons: extends shelf life, reduces the incidence of DOS in soaps when using those protected oils. The only batch I've made that developed DOS was a high olive oil batch with no natural preservative pre-added. A logical argument could be that soaps made with high levels of unsaturated fats hold great potential to develop DOS. Kevin mentions that coconut oil soaps rarely produce DOS while olive oil soaps ususally do, likely due to the fact that coconut oil holds much less oxidation potential than olive based on molecular structure.

How do you know what oils are highly unsaturated? Check the manufacturer shelf life recommendations for opened products, not unopened. In general, those with less than 6 month expirys after opening need a pinch of nat mixed tocopherols or ROE. Another way is to do an internet search to see how the fat or oil is described. Here is a very short list of known highly unsaturated fats: olive, flax seed, borage oil, fish oil, krill oil.

I hope this helps. I'm trying to keep the posts short & in layman's terms.

Julie

Back