Mixing oxides.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
Okay, so I just assumed that I could mix my ultramarine pink with my ultramarine blue to get purple. It did come to a nice purple. But, not in my soap. It just turned brown.

So, if I want purple soap using oxides, is it safe to assume I'm going to need a "purple" oxide? Or is this not the case with all oxides?

Other than that and Lavender Essential Oil, it's my usual recipe.

Well, yes, but I was going with what I had. I was wondering if you could mix them, or will I have to go buy some. I have no purples. I can buy some, but I suppose it's too late now. I just found that odd.

I would have tried red and blue. But then again, you may not have any red. Brown can look good. you can top it off with another color, maybe white with a cherry on top.

I suppose a big Never Mind is in order. I ruined my batch. I was attempting my first CPOP, but I knew better, since my oven is a bit wacky, and the temperature never stays stable.

Anyway, I'll have to do this all over again, at which time, I'll keep you posted as to the color situation. I'm wondering if I just didn't add enough.

By the way. . . . this was my first ruined batch, I really can't complain.

photo-275.jpg

I would have tried red and blue. But then again, you may not have any red. Brown can look good. you can top it off with another color, maybe white with a cherry on top.

I do have red!! I was going for a light "lavender," so I thought that pink might aid in keeping it lighter. But, I'll definitely try for red and blue on my next batch, tomorrow.

Here is what a quick search yielded.

Determine whether your red and blue paint is "true." The reason that mixing red and blue paints doesn't always end up giving you the purple paint you desire is that every paint is composed of many different colors, not just one.[1] A tube of red paint might have oranges and yellows as well, and a tube of blue paint could have red and yellow pigments. When you mix reds and blues that aren't "true," you end up with a brownish, off-purple result.
  • Look for red paint that doesn't have yellow or orange undertones, since when these colors are mixed with blue they create the color brown.
  • Look for blue paint without any yellow or green undertones.
  • If you aren't sure whether your paint is true, test it out. Pour a little onto a palette and mix it with some white. What undertones do you see? The white helps bring out the true nature of the paint's pigments. The red should come out looking pink, not peach; the blue should look sky-blue rather than sea green.
Mix true blue and red. Pour equal amounts of red and blue paint onto a palette and use a brush to mix them together to create a rich purple hue.
  • For a purple color that leans more toward violet, add extra blue paint.
  • Add extra red paint if you want a purple with warmer, pinker undertones.

Have you tried using these colors in CP with other batches? It looks like the Naoh has destroyed the colors.

Yes, I have. I made a very deep blue one, and then I also made a soap, with both of them in a swirl.

Hmm. I'm going to try again and see what happens, though. I'll let you know.

photo-273.JPG

photo-276.jpg

photo-277.jpg

Latest posts

Back