Mixing micas in oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cla

Reaction score
So when mixing micas in oils do you have to take some from the actual
Soap recipie or can u add a Tablespoon of oil and a teaspoon of mica, mix and add to the batch

Oh ok, i actually was thinking that was the best way .....so you don’t find that adding glycerin and colorant compromises the soap.....

If you use too much glycerin, it will make a very soft soap that will never get hard. I did that once. I kept a few bars to see if it ever gets hard. It's still soft enough to imprint my finger two years later. I made it in July 2016.

Oh ok, got it. Thank you for explaining that, now I know I have a few options!

I have some Krazy colours from fizz fairy which I find leave specs in the cp soap, there Are specific instructions to mix with a little bit of cold water and then warm water to disburse the colour properly before putting it in your soap mix...... I didn’t do that . I as well have some premixed labcolor mixed with water. Does anyone have a preference?

I've never heard of Fizz Fairy. So, no help there. Lab Colors as long as they are for high PH should be fine. Follow direction for use on those, I've not used them.

If that is what they said, then they are Water based and won't mix as good with oil if not done that way.

At least this is what I found with all my searching when starting to use Micas a few months ago :)
Mine mix with Oil, I had to ask the seller to make sure.

Also, those little milk frother spinner mixer thingies (lol) work well for mixing Micas before putting in the batter.
Some of mine mix fine with a wooden coffee stirrer

I will have to use the lab colors in body wash and other products rather than In cp soap, thanks for the heads up!

Wondering if I should use a hand blender to try a sample cp soap of about 10 oz, or should I hand mix? I’m thinking that it’s just a little soap and the hand blender will be to powerful and accelerate quicker than i’d Like

If you are only doing one color, add the color to your oils before adding the lye and stick blend it all together. If separating for colors, you may have to stop when it is at a very light trace or at emulsion (depends on your recipe, if it moves fast you might not get everything colored well).

A quart jar..... hummmm, maybe that will work as I wanted to use almost 1/4 for another color, that doesn’t leave very much soap to mix with a stick blender

Your right I may not get it mixed very well....Using such a little bit- 6 oz one color and 4 oz for the other

You have to be very careful using dried fruit, veggies, flower petals, etc. If they aren't completely dry they can grow mold, mildew and other icky stuff. I've seen it done but have never had the urge to try it. It looks pretty sitting on the top of the bar or in a cut slice but then what? As you use it you have to deal with flower petals or bits of fruit clogging your drain. A better solution is to make soap embeds that look like fruit or flowers and use those to decorate.

Oops! I also meant to comment on the original question regarding colors mixed in oil. I masterbatch my colors so I have little tubs (with lids) on my soaping counter. I never take from my batch oils because I use small amounts and I never know how much I'm going to use. Sometimes I want a light pastel, sometimes I decide on a more vibrant color. Plus, the amount of extra oil I'm adding adds up to a few grams so in the grand scheme, it doesn't make much difference in my SF. I also use a 2 or 3% SF with all my batches so I don't worry about having a higher SF than I like. But if I'm going to color the whole batch a single color, I SB the dry mica into the oils before I add the lye. That way it's fully mixed in and well dispersed. I've done it this way for a few years and have had no problems.

icky stuff and mold? Ewwwhhhhhh, your right, it looks super pretty.... but not functional. I think having a realistic mold and using appropriate colors will be the answer

Back