Mixing Leucidal & Aspen BE & Elderberry Extract

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkinwounded

Reaction score
I know this topic belongs in the Bath and Body Forum, but I noticed there are always way more people in this forum and realize that some soapers may also be lotion crafters, with that said!

Does anyone combine these "natural" preservatives to make a better natural perservative with good results? I would love to make the transition to "safer", "healthier" ingredients like preservatives but I hesitate becuase non of them seem like they offer a broad coverage of protection or they only work for a little time like 1,2-3 months.
Any ideas on the matter???
I'm going to call the company that makes these preservatives and ask them some questions on Monday when they open, but in the meantime, any input would be gratfully appreciated as its a burning topic for me

Last edited:
If you get any info from the manufacturer, I would love it if you could share it with us! As of now, I do not make anything that requires a preservative (like a water based lotion), because I'm not thrilled with the commercial choices available to me.

So Maggie from the manufactures says,

"
Dear Eric,

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in our products.
1.Our Shelf life for all the products mentioned is 1 year; After 1 year, we re-test to specification and possible extend another year.
2.The 4 mentioned do not need to be stabilized with Sodium Hydrolzide, If you would like to share your formula, I can have our Formulation Team review.
3.Leucidal Liquid Line is Broad Spectrum.
4.To get a broader preservative, you may combine Leucidal Liquid and Aspen Bark Extract Powder (We would expect that a blend of Leucidal Liquid (2%) and PhytoCyde Aspen Bark Extract Powder (1-1.5%) would provide proper preservation to your formula) Elderberry is Oil Soluble, therefore don’t recommend in the combination.
5.Leucidal Liquid SF is Salicylate Free whereas the Leucidal isn’t.
They both should be added to the cooling phase at temperatures below 70C

With regards to the antimicrobials, indeed adding both will provide a broader protection.
Leucidal SF needs to be added during the cooling phase but Elderberry OS should be added to the oil phase (preferably at temperatures not higher than 80C)".......

Last edited:
Alright, after much more conversation with Maggie at "The Formulator Shop" , i have been better informed and have made a revision to my answer to my own question.

Leucidal SF and Leucidal PT are Salicylate free, which is what I would use together in a lotion for children with many additives, Leucidal at its full percentage (2-4%) would be enough in a basic lotion, but if I was going to add a lot of extracts and such, I would use both to get a broader preservative system for my own comfort. I personally would try to avoid Salicylate Acid in childrens products. If I was using both I would probably use each at 2%

If I was making a lotion for adults, I would use Liquid Leucidal. If I was putting a lot of goodies and extracts in the lotion, I would use Liquid Leucidal and Leucidal PT to get the broadest protection. You could use Liquid Leucidal and Aspen Bark Extract but my concern is the amount of AHA's that would be in my lotion as I usually add Sodium Lactate and I use other extracts that act as exfoliants as well, and to many AHA's may and can irritate the skin, give rashes, etc. If I was not using many ingredients with AHA's, then I would use Liquid Leucidal and Aspen Bark Extract.

The Leucidal line is EcoCertified.
They are temperature sensitive, so read the instructions on when to add them as they can cause problems if you do not.

And many thanks to Maggie, she was great, very friendly and helpful.

This is just my opinion and I feel satisfied and confident in this conclusion, so this is what I'll be trying. If it fails, back to Germall Plus! or maybe like Lindy suggested, GeoGaurd, it seems alright as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back