mineral water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackfish

Reaction score
Where I live we have natural thermal water, which I'm thinking about using in my soap. For many, many years people have traveled to drink and bath in the waters, believing them to be therapeutic. I have read that soapers should use distilled water and since this has minerals in it, I'm wondering if it would not be good in soap. Anyone have any suggestions?

I know people use sea water in soap , so why not mineral water.The lye monster should kill off any "extra's" in the water.

spring water

So basically any beneficial properties in the water would be killed off by the lye?

x

've used artesian spring water to make soaps before and they had a high mineral content with no problem. i know lye can be reactive with certain metals like aluminum-possibly iron.

i would make a test batch, slice it and monitor it for a few months, and see how it goes for discoloration, chalking, scaling, etc.

Re: spring water

blackfish said:
So basically any beneficial properties in the water would be killed off by the lye?

I was thinking bacteria , etc . I wasn't thinking of the good stuff. lol
I don't know , I might have to do some research on what survives a bath in lye.

Kitn

I've learned that the thermal water here is pretty hard so I think I'm not going to bother. Thanks (again) for the input.

Latest posts

Back