Milks comparison

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theda

Reaction score
Has anyone done a comparison of the different milks and creams? Everyone seems to like goats milk, is it that much different than cows milk? How does half-n-half or whipping cream turn out? Buttermilk? Almond milk? The list is endless........

Theda

I can't give you a full answer, but from what I have tried (goat's, cow's, oat and coconut) my favorite is goat's milk. It feels better on the skin. I have not tried cream. As a matter of fact the cow's milk I tried was low fat. So I know my experience is limited.

I haven't tried them all either, but of the one's that I have used I like coconut milk the best. I suppose it's the sugars in coconut milk that adds that extra umph to the lather, and it's so creamy. :) But buttermilk and goats milk are nice too...

I've only tried cow (whole milk) and goat (fresh and powdered) in soaps.
My preference is goat, because I think it feels richer.
I have used whipping cream and almond milks in shampoos...preferred cream
there, too, but I also add honey to the shampoo. Debra may be onto
something with the sugar content affecting the lather.

I recently attempted to make cold process with half and half and had false trace, so I rebatched it. It made really lovely suds. My coconut milk soap also has made nice suds...to be honest I can't tell the difference though between both of them other than the scents I used in them!

Has anyone done a comparison of the different milks and creams? Everyone seems to like goats milk, is it that much different than cows milk? How does half-n-half or whipping cream turn out? Buttermilk? Almond milk? The list is endless........

Theda

Here's an answer to your question from a Ph level perspective.........

Part 1 - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4u8C8uBoFU[/ame]

Part 2 - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtC0wqEh3zs[/ame]

It may be that sugars in the milk products contribute but I think the fat content should also make a difference, since it's the fat that gets saponified and adds X quality to the soaps. The higher the fat content, the more it would affect the soap, I would think. I use heavy cream in my soaps and I think it adds a level of creaminess (and hardness) that I wouldn't get with milk, although I have never used just milk, to be honest. My understanding is that goat milk has a higher fat content than cow's milk, but I doubt it has the fat content of heavy cream. I have not compared side to side.

Also, I was surprised that the various soaps tested out at 7.5 pH at cure. I have heard over and over that soap is an alkaline product by its nature and is never neutral. Was anyone else surprised by the testing in part 2?

Latest posts

Back