Milks comparison

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theda

Reaction score
Has anyone done a comparison of the different milks and creams? Everyone seems to like goats milk, is it that much different than cows milk? How does half-n-half or whipping cream turn out? Buttermilk? Almond milk? The list is endless........

Theda

I can't give you a full answer, but from what I have tried (goat's, cow's, oat and coconut) my favorite is goat's milk. It feels better on the skin. I have not tried cream. As a matter of fact the cow's milk I tried was low fat. So I know my experience is limited.

I haven't tried them all either, but of the one's that I have used I like coconut milk the best. I suppose it's the sugars in coconut milk that adds that extra umph to the lather, and it's so creamy. :) But buttermilk and goats milk are nice too...

I've only tried cow (whole milk) and goat (fresh and powdered) in soaps.
My preference is goat, because I think it feels richer.
I have used whipping cream and almond milks in shampoos...preferred cream
there, too, but I also add honey to the shampoo. Debra may be onto
something with the sugar content affecting the lather.

I recently attempted to make cold process with half and half and had false trace, so I rebatched it. It made really lovely suds. My coconut milk soap also has made nice suds...to be honest I can't tell the difference though between both of them other than the scents I used in them!

Has anyone done a comparison of the different milks and creams? Everyone seems to like goats milk, is it that much different than cows milk? How does half-n-half or whipping cream turn out? Buttermilk? Almond milk? The list is endless........

Theda

Here's an answer to your question from a Ph level perspective.........

Part 1 - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4u8C8uBoFU[/ame]

Part 2 - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtC0wqEh3zs[/ame]

It may be that sugars in the milk products contribute but I think the fat content should also make a difference, since it's the fat that gets saponified and adds X quality to the soaps. The higher the fat content, the more it would affect the soap, I would think. I use heavy cream in my soaps and I think it adds a level of creaminess (and hardness) that I wouldn't get with milk, although I have never used just milk, to be honest. My understanding is that goat milk has a higher fat content than cow's milk, but I doubt it has the fat content of heavy cream. I have not compared side to side.

Also, I was surprised that the various soaps tested out at 7.5 pH at cure. I have heard over and over that soap is an alkaline product by its nature and is never neutral. Was anyone else surprised by the testing in part 2?

Back