Milk soap - how to prevent fast trace?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiralTouch

Reaction score
I'm currently making milk soap via the half/half method where you mix your lye with water for half the liquid amount then add the other half liquid amount of milk at light trace.

The last time I made it, it got REALLY thick really fast after I added the milk and essential oils/ground oatmeal. It was so thick I had to spoon it out and really pack it into the mold.

Does anyone have any experience or tips to keep it more manageable before pouring? I'm thinking about adding the oats, essential oils, and oxide color at really light trace, mixing, then adding milk last.

I will sometimes add my eo to the oils right before i add in the lye solution to so i can control trace more easily,
then i would add the oat meal at a light trace.
Ive also been known to add extra water/milk (by 1 or 2 oz) so that my soaps wont trace as quickly, but keep in mind if you add extra water then it will take longer for your soap to cure

I would just add that you only need to emulsify the mix of lye/water and oils before you add the other stuff. The lighter the trace when you add the milk/oatmeal/essential oils, the less likely it is to get to thick trace so fast. Also, limit the use of the stick blender after you add the other ingredients. Just a few short bursts with it, then do the rest of the blending with a spoon or whisk.

I am not sure it is the milk that is the culprit, it may be the oatmeal and/or the eo's and/or the whole combo that is speeding things up. The lye needs a certain amount of liquid (beyond just what is necessary to dissolve) in order to saponify the oils, so you may want to add the milk a little earlier in the process, then the eo's and oatmeal right before the mold.

Which EOs did you use? Milk shouldn't accelerate trace although it can cause your soap to heat in the mold.

Some of it may have to do with what percentage of hard oils you are using and at what temp. you are soaping. Many soapers choose lower temps for making milk soaps.

Which EOs did you use? Milk shouldn't accelerate trace although it can cause your soap to heat in the mold.

One was a sandalwood fragrance oil, and another batch was lime/basil EOs

I think I mixed the oils/ lye water too long with the stick blender. Next time I will blend just enough to fully incorporate them, then add the milk

Some of it may have to do with what percentage of hard oils you are using and at what temp. you are soaping. Many soapers choose lower temps for making milk soaps.

How low can you go? I always stay around or a little below 90 degrees

I am not sure it is the milk that is the culprit, it may be the oatmeal and/or the eo's and/or the whole combo that is speeding things up. The lye needs a certain amount of liquid (beyond just what is necessary to dissolve) in order to saponify the oils, so you may want to add the milk a little earlier in the process, then the eo's and oatmeal right before the mold.

Thank you - I definitely think I need to add the milk sooner

I will sometimes add my eo to the oils right before i add in the lye solution to so i can control trace more easily,
then i would add the oat meal at a light trace.
Ive also been known to add extra water/milk (by 1 or 2 oz) so that my soaps wont trace as quickly, but keep in mind if you add extra water then it will take longer for your soap to cure

Does this affect the strength of the scent at all after soap cures?

I've had mixed results trying to not gel. Do you put yours in the fridge or just leave out without insulating? I've noticed the soap in my slab mold has been getting soda ash on top (not insulated)

I've had mixed results trying to not gel. Do you put yours in the fridge or just leave out without insulating? I've noticed the soap in my slab mold has been getting soda ash on top (not insulated)

I just leave mine out without insulting on a my drafty window sill
But alot of people but theres in the freezer. i dont think it matters to much. But if your gonna do the freezer/fridge make sure you keep it in there till it is done doing what it needs to do or youll end up with a partial gel (learned that the hard way)
I get soda ash on all of my soaps (gelled or not), I dont mind the look of it at all. i actually like it, but you can spray alcohol on them to prevent it if you dont.

I had a soap sitting on the counter for 6 hours that set up and didn't look like it was going to go thru gel. Next thing I know it was gelling and of course cracking the already hardened top of the soap. So I have learned to not trust soap at all....lol! Now I force gel by not leaving it out on a counter. I wrap it good and cover the mold with my heavy winter coat (i live in FL, I don't need a winter coat anymore)

I made cupcakes one time, did the bottoms the day before, they gelled.....I have never had cupcake bottoms gel. Anyway, next day made the tops and of course they don't gel. They turned out really nice, but how odd is that. Those bottoms were only in thin little silicone cupcake liners. I didn't wrap them up, and I didn't use goats milk, sugar, or honey or really anything that would have added more heat.

I had a soap sitting on the counter for 6 hours that set up and didn't look like it was going to go thru gel. Next thing I know it was gelling and of course cracking the already hardened top of the soap. So I have learned to not trust soap at all....lol! Now I force gel by not leaving it out on a counter. I wrap it good and cover the mold with my heavy winter coat (i live in FL, I don't need a winter coat anymore)

I made cupcakes one time, did the bottoms the day before, they gelled.....I have never had cupcake bottoms gel. Anyway, next day made the tops and of course they don't gel. They turned out really nice, but how odd is that. Those bottoms were only in thin little silicone cupcake liners. I didn't wrap them up, and I didn't use goats milk, sugar, or honey or really anything that would have added more heat.

I am starting to not trust soap as well! I had my first loaf crack the other day. There is so much to learn about soaping

Latest posts

Back