milk in hot process?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabadgley

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Wow, I have been away too long! I got slammed over the holidays and was so busy making soap (YAY!) and writing a business plan (yuck!) that I wasn't on the forum at all for months. I'm trying to make it more a part of my regular routine to get on here, though, because I have learned SO MUCH from all of y'all. Thank you!

My latest question involves using milk in hot process soaping. I searched the forum and couldn't find much on the topic. Most of the instructions I've seen for using milk in HP involves using dried goat's milk that you mix with distilled water, freeze into a slurry, then add after the soap has cooked.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use liquid milk, particularly buttermilk, in hot process. Has anybody done this? I'm thinking it would probably burn, which would explain the freezing and adding after the cook, but I wanted to ask here to see if anyone knew for sure.

you can get buttermilk powder in the baking section of most major supermarkets.

i think that if you added it at the beginning you would end up with a brown soap because the sugar in the milk would carmelize will cooking

I just made a goat's milk HP tonight. I used @ 50/50 premixed lye solution, added to my warm oils, blended til everything was incorporated, added the undiluted evaporated goat's milk in a couple of minuted after trace. When it was almost finished, I added my ground lavender, the right before I took it out of the pot, I added lavender EO. Turned out great & I didn't burn the milk. My bars are a light, creamy tan color. Can't wait to try one out!

Excellent! Thanks for the tips - I'm going to try it out in the next day or two. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

angbaby4974 said:
I just made a goat's milk HP tonight. I used @ 50/50 premixed lye solution, added to my warm oils, blended til everything was incorporated, added the undiluted evaporated goat's milk in a couple of minuted after trace. When it was almost finished, I added my ground lavender, the right before I took it out of the pot, I added lavender EO. Turned out great & I didn't burn the milk. My bars are a light, creamy tan color. Can't wait to try one out!
could you post your recipe? i love hp, and would like to use goats milk.

I was wondering if it would be better to rebatch CP soap adding the milk then so that nothing burns and one might get the max amount of milk added? Just a thought, anyone with experience or ideas :wink:

Latest posts

Back