Microfiber for Cleaning

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like the idea of using a good quality micro-fiber cloth as a wash cloth. I may give that a try and keep one in my luggage just for that purpose for those times I travel and either poor quality or no wash cloths are provided at hotels. It's always annoying to me when I travel and don't have a decent wash cloth for washing my face. I used to have two wash cloths that I traveled with, but last time I visited my eldest son I gave him both of them because he had none. Then I went to Europe and had no wash cloths for most of the trip. I must remember to look around here for one small enough to sub for a face-cloth and give this a dry run here at home before deciding. Most of the ones that I still like how they feel are rather large for use as a wash cloth.

That may be the only thing I've done correctly with them, in that we haven't used dryer sheets for a couple years since I made wool dryer balls.

I've been meaning to make dryer balls and just have never got around to it! But when I stayed at my brother's house this past week, I used their's (my SIL is a weaver and has a couple she uses in her dryer), and now I am convinced. Wow! Just WOW! They worked so fabulously for the bath towels, I was amazed.

All this talk has made me go research microfiber more in dcpth as far as the best ways to clean them after use and how long they last, etc... Seems they all reach a point of diminishing returns. The most recent info I could find online (take with a grain of salt) said that E-cloth should last 3 years and/or through about 300-500 launderings, and Norwex about 2 years and/or 300 launderings.

One of the Norwex rep sites I visited recommended writing the date in sharpie marker on the tag of their Envirocloths when you get them, and after 2 years of regular use have gone by, cut the tag off and demote the cloth to plain old rag status, i.e., a rag you'd use for washing your car or things like that.

One of the more science-based sites I stumbled upon last night gave really good tips on the best way to wash/launder microfiber cloths, based on several experiments the author of the site (Dr. Annie Pryor- who has a PhD in biochemistry) conducted using swabs and petri dishes: http://www.dranniesexperiments.com/...is-the-best-way-to-sterilize-a-cleaning-cloth Based on the outcome of her experiments, which are spelled out and shown in the link provided, I do believe I will now be boiling my cloths for 10 minutes whilst stirring/agitating as my way of laundering them. These cloths are so good at picking up and trapping bacteria in them, that it takes a little more effort than what the manufacturers and reps usually recommend as adequate normal cleaning protocols to rid the cloths of the trapped bacteria, it seems. Her experiments showed that in order to really and truly get those cloths clean of the live bacteria trapped in them (even the Norwex cloths with silver in them), boiling for 10 minutes while stirring/agitating rids the cloths of the highest number of live bacteria and gets them the cleanest in side by side comparisons of the several different laundering methods she used.

I guess my large soup/soaping pot will now triple as a laundering kettle! lol

IrishLass :)

That is very interesting, Irish Lass, but isn't boiling microfiber cloths tantamount to destruction of the fibers that grab and attract the dust when dusting? That is what I have read in most places I look, although I did see the Norwex site actually does recommend boiling for 10 minutes. I am now confused about the statements that claim heat melts the fibers. Maybe it only the harsh chemicals that melt the fibers? Or maybe the fibers in Norwex are actually different than the fibers in the cheaper microfiber cloths? I am now totally unsure. Anyway, since I don't use microfiber cloths for cleaning up high bacteria laden areas, perhaps it wouldn't matter as much in my case. That is, until or unless I start using one to wash my face, then it will/would matter.

I've been told I have soft hands, but never really thought about it, other than I only ever use my own products, or other handmade products, such as soaps, lotions, scrubs, etc.,. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Might have something to do with it but that's all I use too. Maybe this won't make sense but I'm going to compare skin with wood. Some fingers have very tight smooth skin, like maple wood has a close grain. My fingers are more like oak with an open grain that gets easily roughed up with little prickers. The only thing that helps this is if I don't do anything, such as when travelling. If I'm home working my fingers always have little prickers and I always use my own products.

Latest posts

Back