Messed up deer tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made lavender deer tallow soap awhile back and it sat and cured so I thought. I had wrapped it all in a towel and placed in a basket for safe keeping until I was ready to give it to people and today when I unwrapped it there were darker discoloration and it smells unpleasant...like tallow. The lavender is gone. I'm going to take a guess that it wasn't fully cured as I thought and it went rancid wrapped in the towel. I ran the bars under water and theyre sitting on a drying rack now, the discoloration is almost entirely gone but is there any hope for this soap?

Your soap needs to breathe when it cures. Wrapping it in a blanket will cause them to sweat and your oils to go rancid. After you cut your soap leave them on an open rack so they can release the water and cure properly. If they are already rancid I wouldn't feel comfortable giving them to anyone. The damage is already done I think. I don't know if there is any way to save them. Maybe someone else knows.

Did you render the tallow yourself? How many times did you render it and what method did you use?

FOhoarder has it right with making sure the soap is breathing while it cures.....

Rendered on the stove 2x over. I had it sitting to cure for a month and thought it was done before wrapping it in the towel. Is there any way to know for certain it's done curing? It doesn't smell terrible now but it has a definite odor that I'm just going to keep it for us to use around the house, sad because it has a great lather.

Latest posts

Back