Melting large amounts of oil...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapsmurf

Reaction score
I've tried searching for the answer but haven't found it. I think carebear has mentioned how one should heat/melt large amounts of oil. I'm thinking of buying 50# of palm oil, but want to be sure I know how to deal with it once it arrives.

Should the entire bucket be melted together? How should this be done? Should the melted oil be separated oil into smaller quantities? I know palm needs to be mixed, so any tips? TIA.

Btw, I found this: http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... g&start=15 but would like comments specifically about palm.

Oh, and it's sustainably harvested. :wink:

I dont know about that big of a amt? the posts you copied were talking about smaller jugs or buckets, i dont know how it comes, but maybe put the container in the tub w hot water?

50 pounds usually comes in a plastic bag, inside a box. If it were in a plastic bottle then you could just cut the top off and scoop it out.

Alternatively, you could use a 220v electric hot water heater element wired to 110v. This will cut it's power down by 75% and will heat oil without burning it. You will need someone who knows how to wire it.

If you're willing to spend some $$$ then you could also look into buying a pad heater (check www.mcmaster.com) but they get pricey fast.

donniej said:
50 pounds usually comes in a plastic bag, inside a box. If it were in a plastic bottle then you could just cut the top off and scoop it out.

Alternatively, you could use a 220v electric hot water heater element wired to 110v. This will cut it's power down by 75% and will heat oil without burning it. You will need someone who knows how to wire it.

If you're willing to spend some $$$ then you could also look into buying a pad heater (check www.mcmaster.com) but they get pricey fast.
I believe that 50# of oil actually comes in the 5 gallon size buckets. I'm asking about the melting because it's been my understanding that the palm solid and liquid oil portions should be mixed together prior to use. TIA

I've no idea where you are at but if the heat is anything there like it is here right now you could just stick it outside. :lol:

How about putting it in your utility sink and filling the sink up with piping hot water? I have my hot water heater cranked all the way up for a nice scalding shower, so my water is almost boiling. So, you may have to turn the hot water heater up to get it hot enough. Then just mix it well and put it into a gallon container or multiple gallon containers if you have enough, so the next time it is not so difficult.

After the initial mix my palm in a gallon container has stayed soft enough to scoop out but not so soft that it separates.

the no stir palm comes in 50 lb bags.

I cut the bag open and scoop into an 8 gallon bucket. I wrap the buckets (1 for palm and 1 for coconut) with a heater and melt the oils. Then I measure them into master batch oils along with my other base oils, in the proper proportions for my recipe. I usually do around 150 lbs at a time. Makes it very simple and quick when I'm ready to soap. Just scoop out the premeasured, premelted, premixed oils and go. The combo of solid to liquid keeps the master batched oils in a semi solid state, perfect for RT soaping.

I actually ordered 50lb of palm today at obn. I talked to the live chat person before I ordered and he/she thought it would come melted because of the heat. I should stir well when it gets here and then I can pkg into smaller containers.

It does come in the bucket.

Mine came yesterday, sat on the porch for a couple of hours, and was nicely melted by the time I got home. 8) 5-gallon bucket. At least something good is coming from all this heat!

mine comes in a bucket and is hard..i keep the basement cool. but I have a Big Knife!

Latest posts

Back