Matcha Tea soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The soap was made using a (ETA: oops, this is wrong...”vegan, palm-based”, corrected to:) 60% lard recipe and very finely ground Matcha tea powder that was bright green coming out of the bag. Fading has been minimal since I made it on June 9th, but I am keeping it in the dark. The FO is Green Tea from MMS. After all of the concerns I had about using FOs, I have to admit that this scent is wonderful.

BCBCFC0C-A65B-4AE6-A5D3-7A9243A01FF7.jpeg
9835DFF7-6447-4C90-93FE-4AFFEDA00991.jpeg

Last edited:
That's gorgeous soap!! Is the tea next to it the one you used for the color or is it just for decoration?

Beautiful. How much matcha did you use? The color is gorgeous.

Here’s a pic of the tea powder I used. I bought it at Walmart of all places. I added 2 Tbs of the powder, which is very, very fine, to 1.5 cups of olive oil and then let it sit for 24 hours (I may have heated it gently for a little bit at the beginning, but that is not written in my notes. I will check around my posts to see if I can find a reference). I tested the powder from the jar just before I started to measure out my oils for the recipe. Since it did not feel the least bit scratchy, I shook the jar to suspend the powder before I poured out the required amount of olive oil for the recipe. If you look closely, you can see that there is still plenty of powder sitting at the bottom of the jar, so I can’t have added much to the soap.

43F0758C-BA98-4113-8092-05B0959051F9.jpeg

That's gorgeous soap!! Is the tea next to it the one you used for the color or is it just for decoration?
I seem to be out of simple green tea, so that was for decoration only (I’m trying to keep up with @KiwiMoose’s soap staging). The powder I used is shown above.

That is a beautiful green, hope it holds well for you. What was the % of OO in your recipe if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to try and duplicate this color.

The soap is so pretty! Reminds me of a very light avocado. It might work for a soap I'm working on.
I have that brand of green tea. As fine as it is you'd think it would suspend and not sink. Doesn't mix well in water either.

That is a beautiful green, hope it holds well for you. What was the % of OO in your recipe if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to try and duplicate this color.

I just checked the recipe and it’s 20% OO, but oops, it’s my 60% lard bar.

Please note that I corrected my original post. This is a lard bar, not a vegan bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm green with jealousy because you got that pretty color! Might have to try again with a proper oil infusion (not the 2mins heating in the microwave I did last time) I was kind of hoping you got the color from the genmaicha tea next to it, since it's cheaper and easier to come by, but I'll go back to matcha to see if I can replicate what you did[emoji6]

Oh no! That's too bad!:( I really loved that color! I actually still love the faded greenish white;)

The fact that it held some of the green and didn’t go completely brown is interesting, isn’t it? Maybe if I used more... lol, another thing to try :)
It is! Now I'm curious what makes it stay green while other colorants turn brown;)

Back