March show & tell challenge: Mythology

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the myth and the soap. I love all the colors, the varying degrees of what sexuality can be. Well done Relle!

Relle, I love the soap and the myth with it, I think it is very fitting :)

IMG_1446_zpse7b2f4ad.jpg
IMG_1453_zps491b7594.jpg
IMG_1452_zps2c78ff71.jpg

Ahh...the infamous rack & balls soap.

I love that! So pretty, everyone's soaps are coming out so lovely, I'm sure to take a hit on my ego when mine comes out. I just made it last night, waiting to cut for the reveal.

Thank you Hazel! Shannon you are proving to be a talented soapmaker. I am sure your soap will be fine. I look toward the reveal!

Ok here is my Mythology submission... Ambrosia!

Backstory: So when this challenge first was in the poll phase still, I was telling my dh about it and the fact that only one currently stumping me (from the choices) was the mythology one. I knew right away what I would have done for the others, however my main focus was the local because it and mythology were in close running. So Curt says "how about Ambrosia... the drink of the gods" and it clicked and I knew I would figure out something to do with Ambrosia if Mythology won, which it did. So I googled Ambrosia just to get some inspiration etc and a quote from Homer caught my eye. I'll post some of the article...

"In ancient Greek mythology, ambrosia is sometimes the food or drink of the Greek gods (or demigods), often depicted as conferring ageless immortality upon whoever consumed it. It was brought to the gods in Olympus by doves, so it may have been thought of in the Homeric tradition as a kind of divine exhalation of the Earth.

Ambrosia is very closely related to the gods' other form of sustenance, nectar. The two terms may not have originally been distinguished; though in Homer's poems nectar is usually the drink and ambrosia the food of the gods; it was with ambrosia Hera 'cleansed all defilement from her lovely flesh'.."

There was more but I stopped there because the quote about Hera cleansing her skin with Ambrosia just brought it all home for me.

Because Hera is the goddess of Woman and Marriage I thought it fitting to soap with Love Spell (and because I happen to LOVE LOVE LOVE this fragrance). The colors I used were only picked to bring a pop of color and have no major significance. I was going to attempt a peacock swirl on the top, but alas I failed a bit (you can watch the making video I have posted on my channel if you wanna) but it's still very pretty, imho.

IMG_0317_zps1246f9fb.jpg

It is a beautiful soap, Shannon and I like how you presented the story with it :)

Shannon -

Very well written about the myth! It is gorgeous and I think Love Spell is a great scent for it. I love the blue color in your soap. Do you mind me asking what colorant you used?

Thanks Badger and Hazel! I used Ultramarine Violet and Black Oxide for my swirls. I got them from Bramble Berry

I knew it would be great Shannon. I think Love Spell is a perfect scent for this soap, and historically purples are the color of royalty, so perfect to represent a Goddess. *Applauds.*

Again I am amazed by the awesome soaps, great storytelling, and just the creativity in all of you. Great job and thank you all again for the inspiration.

Okay here is my submission for the Mythology challenge. Problem is I know nothing about Mythology so all I have is a new soap that smells like the ocean and a picture. Maybe someone else can write a story for me :lol:

Ocean.jpg

Back