March show & tell challenge: Mythology

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay here is my submission for the Mythology challenge. Problem is I know nothing about Mythology so all I have is a new soap that smells like the ocean and a picture. Maybe someone else can write a story for me :lol:

In the beginning God created the heavens...

Not exactly ancient mythology but that's it looks like to me. :)

I immediately thought of water and ice when I say it, what about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedna_%28mythology%29 - the eskimo goddess of the sea?

Other versions of the legend depict Sedna as a beautiful maiden who rejects marriage proposals from the hunters of her village. When an unknown hunter appears, Sedna's father agrees to give her to him as wife in return for fish. Sedna's father gives Sedna a sleeping potion and gives her to the hunter who takes her to a large nest on a cliff, revealing his true form: a great raven. She wakes surrounded by birds. Her father attempts to rescue her, but her husband the bird creature becomes angry, causing a great storm. In desperation, Sedna's father throws her into the raging sea. Attempting to cling to the kayak, her hands freeze and her fingers fall off becoming the creatures of the sea. She falls to the bottom of the sea and grows a fish tail.

I like Siren's Song, too. Although, Nine Sisters is a cool name. Sedna also sounds pretty but wow! what a violent and bloody legend. :shock:

With the earlier suggestion of Neptune, I browsed on Wikipedia since it has been so many years since I read mythology to find related myths. I found out the Neptune's wife was Salacia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salacia_(mythology)

I thought it was interesting what was said about her.
Salacia was the personification of the calm and sunlit aspect of the sea.[8] Derived from Latin sal meaning "salt",[9] the name Salacia denotes the wide, open sea,[10] and is sometimes literally translated to mean sensational.
@ Shannon -

Thanks for the info about the colorants. I looked at your pic again and thought it is purple. I don't know why I thought it looked blue the other day. Just tired, I guess.

Back