making soap with water from the gulf

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make many of my soaps with oceanwater. They foam nicely, with a little sea salt that is good for skn. I love it. I use it just as regular water, I do filter it just in case trash or something is in it. No difference at all.

Sea water makes fine soap, but, if you're speaking of the Gulf of Mexico, I'd think twice about that. Considering the massive oil spill and the mess it left behind, I don't think I'd want that in my soap :)

DottieF. said:
Sea water makes fine soap, but, if you're speaking of the Gulf of Mexico, I'd think twice about that. Considering the massive oil spill and the mess it left behind, I don't think I'd want that in my soap :)

I live in the area and the spill made me sick. It was a terrible thing but it is beautiful down here now. I know they are finding tar balls now but we had tar balls in the 60s and 70s. I was just there this weekend and didn't see any sign of the spill. The water is as beautiful as I've ever seen it. I' have a piture I will try to post.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/beachlf.jpg/

I wanted to use beach sand but my husband advised me against it because of parasites..etc. What do you do to the sand before using it in your soap (if anything)?

If you use seawater you Must let it sit in a drk area for 48 hours. This will kill off everything living in it that you do not see. Trust me on this. I lived on an island for years we use seawater for many thing but you need to do this to make it usable. We even did this tio use it for our aquariums that were salt water. You will be amazed at what you do not see living in the water after the 48 hours is up.

Scentapy said:
I wanted to use beach sand but my husband advised me against it because of parasites..etc. What do you do to the sand before using it in your soap (if anything)?
I would try baking it to remove any parasites.

I was thinking about using sand also. I'm planning to boil the water but it seems like adding the lye would do a pretty good job.

I do nothing to either...I keep mine in the frig if I don't use it right away but there is nothing still living after I've mixed it with the lye. I've got a batch almost ready to use....I've been very patient...I used a new smell for one of my batches and I tried ultramarine and an oxide for colors...boy do I like those...stayed very true...

Latest posts

Back