Making Soap Recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytreats

Reaction score
Hi there,
Im quite new when it comes to soap making, and i have made a few recipes already for some soap.
I finally tried to give it a whirl and make up my own recipe.
This is what I used:

castor 30%
cocnut oil 20%
olive 20%
palm 30%
superfat 5%

is this soap recipe going to turn out okay?
I used SoapCalc, and all my numbers were okay.
As in the hardness, conditioning, bubbly, etc

what is this soap for???
I only use high fraction of castor oil in shampoo soap.
And I think the you use too much coconut oil and palm oil, the soap can be too dry for normal skin~

It seems like way too much castor oil to me. You are probably going to end up with very soft bars of soap. You can raise the hardness by upping your palm oil or including some oils or butters with higher hardness values. If you want to stick with the same oils, I would try something more like this:
Castor oil 10%
Coconut oil 20%
Olive oil 30%
Palm oil 40%
Of course we all like our bars different, but that seems more balanced to me.

ah poo.
i dont know why i didn't look into this before making the soap.
i have already made the soap...and by the looks of it, i dont think its going to harden much more.
i really screwed up.
is there anyway to save the soap?
by rebatching it?

You made cold process soap? CP takes at least a few weeks to harden. Sometimes up to 6 or 8 weeks.

Hot process can technically be used immediately after it has been cooked but its not quite hardened yet. I like to give it a few days to a week to harden further first. Some soapers prefer to wait a few weeks but I feel like its hard enough after a few days or so. It'll most likely be ok. Probably just soft. Is this your first batch? I hope you post pics!!

tinytreats -

I think your soap will be lovely once it's cured. It looks like it's going to very bubbly and I'd like to hear what you think of the lather. However, it might take several weeks longer than normal to harden because of the high percentage of castor. When did you make the batch? BTW, some people have commented that they experience some stickiness in soap with a higher castor amount.

I don't think it will be too drying for normal skin. I have dry, sensitive skin and I generally use coconut at least 25% with a higher superfat. The palm oil isn't going to add dryness because of its mildness in cleansing. I like the look of the recipe Cake Baby posted and you might want to give it a try. It looks like it would be a mild soap with creamier lather but not as conditioning as your recipe. Nothing wrong with being less conditioning - Cake Baby's recipe is similar to what I make as a body soap.

Another recipe I would suggest to give you slightly different results.

Castor oil 10%
Coconut oil 25%
Olive oil 40%
Palm oil 25%

If you have dry skin, you can use a higher superfat. I normally use 7%-8% but it wouldn't be a problem to use even higher - 9%-10%. You also might find Zen Soaps single oil page interesting since it gives a good idea of what an individual oil adds to a batch. http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

BTW, hot process may be "ready" to use in a week but there's more going on during the curing process than just water evaporation. Week old soap can be drying but becomes milder during the curing process and the lather becomes better. As an experiment, slice a bar into sections and try a section after a week, another after 2 weeks, another after 3 weeks and another after 4 weeks. You'll most probably find a difference between one week and 4 weeks. To be fair, there have been a couple of people who have mentioned their recipes are as gentle in a week as they are in 4 weeks but normally most recipes require longer curing.

eta:

I just thought of other variations of your recipe which would up the conditioning a little bit.

Castor oil 10%
Coconut oil 20%
Olive oil 40%
Palm oil 30%

Castor oil 10%
Coconut oil 20%
Olive oil 50%
Palm oil 20%
This recipe has the same values in cleansing, conditioning and hardness as your recipe. But olive does eventually cure hard while castor doesn't. So, it wouldn't require as long as a cure as your recipe. You can add 2%-3% ppo of sodium lactate to help with initial hardening to get it out of the mold sooner.

What makes a good recipe is really personal preference. Experimentation is important to find out what you prefer so you might want to make several batches for comparison.

Well I don't think all is lost and nor do I think you'll have soft soap. I use 20% castor in all of my soaps and have no problem with either softness or stickiness. They are lovely soaps. You have a really high percentage of solid oils at room temp that add hardness to a bar so I'm pretty sure that will counteract any softness in your soap. My soaps feel somewhat soft-ish until 3 weeks of cure when they are hard as rock. They are quite hard to cut even 4hrs after pouring them into a mould.... :shock: Give your bars a chance before considering rebatching, at least 3 weeks cure. :wink: No-ones screws up in soap btw, all we ever do is experiment. :mrgreen:

ClaraSuds said:
Well I don't think all is lost and nor do I think you'll have soft soap. I use 20% castor in all of my soaps and have no problem with either softness or stickiness.

I don't believe I said tinytreats' soap was a loss. Her soap will "harden" but softness refers to it dissolving faster than compared to a soap that has a higher ratio of saturated oils. I guess I should stop using the term "soft" since it really is an inaccurate description. Of course, the propensity to dissolve a little faster is not a big deal as long as the soap is kept dry between uses. I prefer more conditioning in most of my batches so many of my recipes have a lower "hardness" value and will dissolve more quickly if I didn't let them dry out between uses. The sat/unsat ratio and values are almost identical to my recipes for facial soap and I've been pleased with the results. I also didn't say her soap would be sticky. I stated some people have posted about experiencing stickiness in soap with a higher castor amount since she mentioned she used 30%. I mentioned this just so she would be aware of what might have been the cause if her soap felt a little sticky.

My comment about the soap taking longer than normal to cure is based upon my experience with batches I have made with the same sat/unsat ratio. I wasn't happy with the "firmness" of the bars until after a few months. But this is personal preference and I know many people don't cure soap as long as I like to for my batches.

I appreciate all the responses. I don't feel so hopeless now. I'll let the bars cure for another 2 weeks then, because I just poured them a week ago. I do notice they are firming up a bit. I just won't be using that recipe again, as I hate waiting for them to cure.

A longer cure helps no matter which type of soap you make. It's not only excess water evaporating over several weeks, the soap also becomes milder and I've noticed in my batches the lather gets better.

Hazel said:
I don't believe I said tinytreats' soap was a loss. I also didn't say her soap would be sticky. I stated some people have posted about experiencing stickiness in soap with a higher castor amount since she mentioned she used 30%. I mentioned this just so she would be aware of what might have been the cause if her soap felt a little sticky.

I was thinking more about an earlier post in this thread talking about softness and such. Where it seemed like the OP took it to heart that her soap was a goner and she had definately done something wrong. All I meant was to reassure her that her soap could still in fact be good and not to instantly think it was a dud. All I wanted to say was that I use high castor amount and in my current batch which I am using I also have other solid oils and coconut oil and I noticed this bar of mine was quite hard and also is lasting longer than my earlier batches. The OP also mentioned that her soap didn't seem to harden up as much as her previous batch and that's what I was referencing with the soft and hard bit. Thanks for explaining what you meant by soft because I hadn't really considered that aspect much.

ClaraSuds said:
I was thinking more about an earlier post in this thread talking about softness and such.

Sorry! :oops: I thought you meant my reply. Actually it's good to point out that soft isn't a good term to use. Someone wrote a better explanation about exactly what "hardness" means when discussing soap but I couldn't remember who wrote the post. If I get time to browse, I'll try to find it because it was interesting and would be helpful for clarification.

Back