Making soap for the first time in oh 9 years or more...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makingbeerandsoap

Reaction score
Hi all. I am Angela...I live in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

I used to make a lot of soap (sold to mostly friends and family but had a small following. Mostly just to get rid of all of it :))

But a move from Cincinnati, suddenly becoming a single mother, and change in jobs to a much more demanding company...I left everything packed up in the basement for 9 years.

Until Saturday. I've ordered all new oils and lye (pretty excited that Columbus foods shipping from Chicago to Milwaukee seems to be pretty much overnight, and much cheaper than it was to Ohio!) I unpacked all my molds over the weekend and revved up the stick blender. Watched a few tutorials on youtube (wow that's an awesome resource!) and I'm pretty excited to start back up even if it's only to make a bunch of Christmas presents. I've had several people who've been pestering me for years. Lucky for me I kept pretty fastidious notes.

I'm a chemist in my day job, and other hobbies include cooking, baking cakes, and sewing. I like working with my hands but more often end up working in a spreadsheet. I work a lot so I fit these in where I can...besides that I have an 11 year old and a 3 year old. I actually think my 11 year old is going to enjoy seeing this, he enjoys cooking with me.

I've been poking around the forums (can't even remember which forums I was on back in the day) and having a nostalgic moment for a couple of meetings we had, and remembering what good people soapers are.

Anyway, hope to be around once in a while!

Welcome back to the soaping world. SoapCalc and other lye calculators make soaping much easier.

dunno if you need soap molds but I created a simple soap cutter out of item in home depot. i will post pictures soon. it cost me 3 bucks to make this cutter with free wood i found dumped in a garbage can at home depot.

the same for my flat soap mold. i payed 5 dollar fo the wood and zero for the base. 4 additonal dollars for the brackets.

Will post picture of this also.

home depot is wonderful in helping you cut items you need to size.

Yes I have come back to organize a store of my Lipsticks Lotions and Soap Bars. along with my Cosmecuticals. I am a Nurse here in The Hudson Valley NY.

Hi Angela! Welcome to the forum! I was born and raised in Milwaukee :) please do me a favor, and go to Summerfest?! Also, check out the art festival on the lake front! Happy soaping!

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Yes I will *absolutely* be at Summerfest, many times. My company is a major sponsor it's pretty much expected :)
We have a boat down at the marina so will definitely hit most of the major events in the summer down there. I do love Milwaukee (with the possible exception of the weather in springtime, when I'm SO ready for some heat).

I have an absolute ton of molds but hey you never know when you need another right? I did buy a 5 lb mold because my current 14 pounders are intimidating me a bit right now.

I will attempt to post pics...I'm just hoping my lead time here is shorter than when I first started making soap, when I researched for a year and a half before my first batch (that was an utter mess...until I re-tried it a year later and found out it wasn't too bad, actually). Of course "back in my day" lol there was no such resource as Pinterest and Youtube, we just relied on good old Millersoap.
Ironically, when I was digging my things out of boxes, I found one lone bar that I unwrapped and put in the soap dish in the bathroom. My boyfriend has never used homemade soap...we'll see how that goes. :)

Welcome. I like the name making beer and soap. My two favorite things, and Wisconsin has some of the best craft beer I've ever tried. My brother lives in Madison, so I'm always visiting all the awesome breweries in the area. Beer and soap is all I need.

Latest posts

Back