Making CP Soap from RAW Organic Shea Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmoman

Reaction score
I bought this 10 lb chunk of raw organic shea butter ( unrefined)

It was cheap , but it stinks. Vendor's label said it will have a smell but is not rancid. Suggest first filtering

Anyone used this in CP soap ?

Any idea how to further refine it if needed? It looks fine.

I used raw Shea oil in my batch last night and the smell didn't come through. I hate the smell of it otherwise and won't use it in my creams but it stayed hidden in the soap. :) Used it at around 10% I think.

what do you want to refine it for? fragrance or color..the smell doesnt last through the soaponification with shea ...depending on the amount you use in your reciepe it might give the soap a natural beige hue..

I only use organic unrefined shea and Cocoa Butter (which will leave a scent after soaponification)

theres no need to refine

I use 5% unrefined shea butter for superfatting at trace.
Mine is really unrefined and it comes directly from Ghana, Africa.

No smell at all. It gives me a luxurious feeling after washing my hands.

Excellent product.

Sapwn mine is too and smells terrible. Much different than other unrefined I have bought. Maybe because its even purer? Idk. But the raw olein oil and the solid unrefined smell blech! Lol
But at 15% it didn't stick so I'm pleased to find a way to
Use it all up. :)

Last edited:
Raw Shea

Thanks very much to all replies! I bought this on Amazon its from Ghana and at 30$ for 10 lb, ( including freight) its a good price! Gonna make a batch today and see how it goes.

Raw Shea does vary and is dependent on several factors, one being time of season the seeds are collected. Some Shea I find is very mild and some can be quite strong. I only use raw shea and some I like more than others. I have now told my supplier friend to get me only the mild smelling shea. Mine also comes from Ghana

The raw Shea Butter works great ! Made several batches and you cannot smell it. A great way to save money and get benefits of raw shea.

I always use unrefined shea in my soap. The smell will not come through. I do however use refined in my body butters since my mom told me the ones I made with the unrefined made her smell like rubber bands :shock:

Has anyone noticed a difference, in soap quality, between refined and unrefined shea butter in the final product of cold process soap?

Back